Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

First casualty of pizza overcrowding!

by Mark R. » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:47 pm

When my wife and I were out last evening we noticed that East of Chicago pizza in Middletown is closed and everything had been removed from the building! As it has been mentioned before on this forum, it seems that we are getting too many pizza places in the area so this may be just the first casualty. Their pizza certainly wasn't the best in town but on the other hand it certainly wasn't the worst either!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: First casualty of pizza overcrowding!

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Probably neither the first nor the last, Mark. Naked Pizza didn't last long in St Matthews, perhaps because they tried to make a healthy pizza, and who wants that? :mrgreen:

Earlier, Jockamo's in Germantown gave way to Eiderdown, so there's that.

I'm really not surprised by the onslaught of pizza, especially in nightspot zones like St Matthews. It's quick, easy, not too expensive, most everybody likes it, and despite our fretting, it seems the demand is enough to support a lot of people's business plans.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:01 am

Mark R. wrote:When my wife and I were out last evening we noticed that East of Chicago pizza in Middletown is closed and everything had been removed from the building! As it has been mentioned before on this forum, it seems that we are getting too many pizza places in the area so this may be just the first casualty. Their pizza certainly wasn't the best in town but on the other hand it certainly wasn't the worst either!

Was that the place in the same location as the Police Donuts that never opened? If so, I am not sure that is a result of overcrowding.

Something squirrelly has been going on with that location.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:10 am

Rob Coffey wrote: Was that the place in the same location as the Police Donuts that never opened? If so, I am not sure that is a result of overcrowding.

Something squirrelly has been going on with that location.

I think you're thinking of the same place. Police Donuts was actually open for a while, closed then said they were going to reopen but never did. It's right next to Peking City Bistro. East of Chicago started out in one storefront with takeout and delivery only. They never took over a second storefront (the one where Police Donuts was) for a sitdown area and they also had a lunch buffet. Not sure if they expanded too soon over a casualty of too many pizza restaurants in the area. That plaza as well as the one where Rainbow Blossom is now located both seem to have a lot of turnover!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:57 pm

As much as I bemoan the excess of pizza and Mexican places (they crowd out the possibility of more interesting, more adventurous kinds of food), I was upset at the loss of Naked Pizza. Their thin-crust probiotic pizza was healthy, tasty, just the right size, and it was only a four block walk from my house.