Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

BBC to Kindred

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

BBC to Kindred

by TP Lowe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:09 pm

Business First reports BBC will open in the new building that Kindred is putting up on Fourth:

http://bit.ly/1FSUu5w
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: BBC to Kindred

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Am I the only one who feels this is a strange choice? Now that I have anything against BBC but it doesn't seem like the right kind of restaurant to be going into a healthcare company.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:20 pm

Mark R. wrote:Am I the only one who feels this is a strange choice?

Probably. :mrgreen:

I expect the deal here is pretty simple: Kindred wanted to expand into the space occupied by BBC. BBC likely had either ownership or a long-term lease, so a reasonable agreement was made.

Back to your original point, though, I don't think there is anything intrinsically unhealthy about BBC's fare. Certainly not in a town where there is a McDonald's in a hospital. :shock:
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:BBC likely had either ownership or a long-term lease, so a reasonable agreement was made.

Certainly not in a town where there is a McDonald's in a hospital. :shock:

I imagine you hit it on the head, Robin.

I'm stunned over that last statement, though! Really?!
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark R. wrote:Am I the only one who feels this is a strange choice?

Probably. :mrgreen:

I expect the deal here is pretty simple: Kindred wanted to expand into the space occupied by BBC. BBC likely had either ownership or a long-term lease, so a reasonable agreement was made.

Back to your original point, though, I don't think there is anything intrinsically unhealthy about BBC's fare. Certainly not in a town where there is a McDonald's in a hospital. :shock:

And a pediatric hospital, at that!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:48 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I'm stunned over that last statement, though! Really?!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... tucky.html
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:I'm stunned over that last statement, though! Really?!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... tucky.html

Unreal. Bad enough they have it, worse that someone would review it!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:20 pm

Yes- a pediatric hospital!!! :x I was appalled to find out about it years ago when one of my kids had to stay there for a couple of days.

Deb
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:38 am

I'm no fan of McD's and I het thTbit is silly having one at Kosair but it fills a need. It's cheap and it's fast, two things that are important in that setting. Hospital food is not cheap when you are their for an extended stay.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:15 am

Pediatrics is the perfect place for McDonalds. I don't remember anyone complaining about giving kids ice cream after a tonsilectomy. This is the same thing.

Besides, I've been spending a lot of time at Sts. Mary and Elizabeth this week. If you think McDonalds is worse than what their cafeteria dishes out, then you are ill informed. I've been taking full advantage of their decent salad bar. But you can get salads at McDonalds too, just like I have many time's at Children's Hospital.

And returning to the topic....

As I understand it, Beer *is* food.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jon K » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:44 am

IMO, a hospital that claims to deliver the highest level of care to children shouldn't provide food that is extremely high in sodium and fat that promotes hypertension, heart disease and diabetes. First rate children's hospitals across the country got rid of fast food ages ago. And please, don't bore me with "free market principles" and "people have a right to choose". I've seen too many people this week with heart attacks, strokes and severe hypertension.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:13 pm

When I did a summer of chaplaincy at Baptist East a while back, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that their cafeteria is well above average. Not worthy of a HotBytes review, but much better than I expected. Not McDonalds. :mrgreen:
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Jon K wrote: And please, don't bore me with "free market principles" and "people have a right to choose". I've seen too many people this week with heart attacks, strokes and severe hypertension.

Who said anything about the free market? Health care and exclusive vendor concessions are really not good examples of that.

But the important question is... What's your take on beer?
:lol:
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jon K » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Steve H wrote:
Jon K wrote: And please, don't bore me with "free market principles" and "people have a right to choose". I've seen too many people this week with heart attacks, strokes and severe hypertension.

Who said anything about the free market? Health care and exclusive vendor concessions are really not good examples of that.

But the important question is... What's your take on beer?
:lol:

I think they should serve it in hospitals :lol:
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:19 pm

As a kid, having spent a week in the hospital there due to a serious asthma attack, that McDonald's hamburger was like manna from heaven after no solid food for a couple of days. Plus it tasted normal. It tasted like the outside world, and I needed that despite the hospital's best efforts to keep me from going too stir-crazy. I'll never knock that McD's.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg