Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Ramen guys do ramen and dumplings at Rumplings

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:27 am

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Rumplings' Piggy Bowl

Warmed by the delights of four big bowls of steaming ramen at Rumplings in five day's time, I asked my baby boomer pals on Facebook a simple question this week: When did you first encounter instant ramen? What did you think of it when you did?

The discussion quickly blew up into a sharp, snarky chorus of generally similar responses: We discovered ramen in college, most of us, and we loved it because it was cheap, quick and tasty with salty, delicious goodness.

Yeah, most of us gave it up later on, stunned in wiser maturity to learn of its horrific nutritional analysis, with half your day's allocation of fat, a boatload of MSG and all the sodium you need for the entire day, in a single serving. A real serving, that is. The weasels in marketing declare a "serving" to be half of a packet, to which I respond, "Bwahahaha!"

No more ramen for me, I thought, assuming that instant ramen was the ramen.

But no! Real ramen is something else entirely. The original dish, taken from China and perfected in Japan, is the stuff of which cult cuisine is made. Go stream "The Ramen Girl," if you want to know more. It's an engaging film about a young American woman who hilariously persuades a traditional, cranky and demanding old ramen chef to teach her the tricks of the trade.

Or, if you can't watch a foodie movie without getting hungry, simply cut to the chase. Head over, right now, to Rumplings Slurp Shop, where four of the city's most creative and passionate young chefs have been turning out authentic ramen bowls far into the night since last November, offering the Baxter nightspot strip a worthy alternative to pizza.

These guys - Dustin Staggers, also of Roux and the soon-to-launch Diner America, with his brother Kyle and chefs Griffin Paulin and Ethan Ray - are making ramen that would surely please even The Ramen Girl's crabby old boss. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/ramen ... -rumplings
And in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/03/ramen- ... rumplings/

Rumplings Slurp Shop
2009 Highland Ave.
No published phone
https://Facebook.com/Rumplings502
Robin Garr's rating: 92 points
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Ramen guys do ramen and dumplings at Rumplings

by Adriel Gray » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Can't wait!
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:52 am

Went for lunch Saturday. Loved it. Had the Piggy, and Dashi bowls. Also had a round of dumplings. It is fantastic.

Some will say it is expensive, but for:
1. The access you get to their process in the open kitchen,

2. The friendly vibe from the great kitchen and counter staff,

3. How fantastic the food is,

4. How full you feel after a huge steaming bowl of noodles,

Those people should be ignored, and ridiculed. Ramen may be 15 cents at Kroger, but this isn't Maruchan! This is an amazing locally sourced, artisanal take on a classic traditional dish done with a lot of care and pride. Wish Yankee Candle made a Rumplings candle... the place smells AMAZING!!

ITEDAKIMASU!!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:28 pm

I propose that the first franchise should be in Fern Creek!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:08 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Some will say it is expensive,

It can be if you live it up, but I'm content with the six dollar rookie. Great stuff! I will have to add five bucks and try the Thai Peanut next time.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm

SilvioM wrote:
Adriel Gray wrote:Some will say it is expensive,

It can be if you live it up, but I'm content with the six dollar rookie. Great stuff! I will have to add five bucks and try the Thai Peanut next time.

Absolutely! Although I have to say... the Dashi was really worth it! :D