Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ryan G.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:59 pm

What local yeast doughnuts have I missed?

by Ryan G. » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Following on from a previous thread I started about finding a doughnut in Louisville similar to Spalding’s Bakery (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22460
)…

I’ve now visited 11 bakeries/doughnut shops in the Louisville area within the past six months. None have had a yeast doughnut that rivals Spalding’s, but the quest has turned to just trying all worthwhile local yeast doughnuts.

The list is below. Are there any other places I should hit?

(The rating is based on my opinion of their plain glazed yeast doughnuts, which may differ from an overall rating of the shop. I basically had "one of everything" at each place.)

Plehn's Bakery - visited August 16, 2014 - Rating: Standard, normal

Bussman's Bakery - visited September 6, 2014 - Rating: Only okay, which was disappointing, because many of the other items tried were great.

Heitzman Bakery (Shelbyville Road) - visited September 20, 2014 - Rating: Nothing special; like a grocery store doughnut

Nord's Bakery - visited September 27, 2014 - Rating: Good, above average

State Dounts - visited October 4, 2014 - Rating: The plain glazed yeast doughnut was okay, but the other items I had were terrible. The fritter was raw in the middle. The chocolate glazed and chocolate doughnuts had an off, medicinal flavor.

Sugar & Spice Donut Shop - visited October 11, 2014 - Rating: Good, not great.

Honey Cream Donut Shop (Indiana) - visited October 18, 2014 - Rating: Below average; like a grocery store doughnut

Jeff's Bakery (Indiana) - visited January 24, 2015 - Rating: Great; second best behind Spalding’s

Amazing Glaze Donut Company (Adrienne and Company)(Indiana) - visited February 7, 2015 - Rating: Standard, nothing special

William's Bakery (Indiana) - visited February 14, 2015 - Rating: Good, above average

Clifton Donut Shop - visited March 7, 2015 - Rating: Only okay; had a slight weird chew. I was very disappointed in this place overall. The only yeast doughnuts they had available were plain glazed and chocolate iced. The rest of the yeast case was empty. They opened at 6:00 AM; I arrived at 6:45 AM. The doughnuts themselves were nothing special.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: What local yeast doughnuts have I missed?

by Jerry C » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:16 pm

A warm Krispy Kreme cannot be beat.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:53 pm

Jerry C wrote:A warm Krispy Kreme cannot be beat.

+1 It's certainly hard to disagree with that!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:44 am

Jerry C wrote:A warm Krispy Kreme cannot be beat.

Very true.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Sounds like you've put a lot of work into this Ryan. I'm sure there are worse things than going on a doughnut quest, however.
Anyway, I'm not surprised you've not found one up to the standards set by Spaldings. I've certainly never found a peer.
And for those of you who say nothing beats a warm Krispy Kreme, methinks you've not experienced the doughnut Nirvana that is a Spaldings yeast doughnut. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against a fresh, warm Krispy Kreme. But man, I seriously miss Spaldings.
no avatar
User

Ryan G.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:59 pm

by Ryan G. » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:21 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:And for those of you who say nothing beats a warm Krispy Kreme, methinks you've not experienced the doughnut Nirvana that is a Spaldings yeast doughnut. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against a fresh, warm Krispy Kreme. But man, I seriously miss Spaldings.

This.

Even the doughnuts rated as below average in my list would probably beat a Krispy Kreme.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Ryan G. wrote: This.

Even the doughnuts rated as below average in my list would probably beat a Krispy Kreme.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a doughnut! I've actually had the ones from Spalding's and didn't particularly care for them. Everybody's tastes are different and this is just one example of that.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue May 03, 2016 2:03 pm

Don't know about the plain yeast doughnuts but I had custard, cream and jelly filled doughnuts from Sugar and Spice and thought their fillings were the best I've ever had. Doughnut body itself was fine (not amazing but better than average) but the fillings tasted home made and not merely out of a #10 can.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 03, 2016 2:19 pm

Old thread revived! :mrgreen:

I'll give a shout out to Clifton Donut, though. Cambodian migrants trained in French pastry bring their skills to delicious donuts.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue May 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Old thread revived! :mrgreen:

I'll give a shout out to Clifton Donut, though. Cambodian migrants trained in French pastry bring their skills to delicious donuts.

That's interesting. When I lived in New Orleans the best French bread was found at Vietnamese bakeries. Dong Phuong bakery in New Orleans East is the place to go.

http://www.dpbanhmi.com/DP_Bakery/Welcome.html