Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Anthony Lamas training at Waffle House!!

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:43 am

Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

Re: Anthony Lamas training at Waffle House!!

by Susanne Smith » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:20 am

I wish he'd given me a break, and trained at the Shady Lane before the competition. I do 150 some Saturdays with only one prep cook to set up sandwiches and plate food. I do have mad respect for Waffle House cooks...yes I do!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:29 am

I saw Anthony posting about that on Facebook last week. I could have mentioned it here, I guess. It didn't really seem like "news," though.

Should I post stuff like that more? I don't want to wast your time with clickbait, but it would be easy to ramp it up if anybody would like it.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 am

I thought it was a great story. Who stages at the Waffle House? Looks like maybe more of us should. I think Marsha mentioned in a post somewhere that one of her culinary instructors (Chef Mudd?) told his class to go observe at the Waffle House. There's a lot to learn - everywhere.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:32 am

Leah S wrote:I thought it was a great story. Who stages at the Waffle House? Looks like maybe more of us should. I think Marsha mentioned in a post somewhere that one of her culinary instructors (Chef Mudd?) told his class to go observe at the Waffle House. There's a lot to learn - everywhere.

I don't disagree, but it also seemed like a great PR move for free publicity by Waffle House corporate ...
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:52 am

Actually, Anthony was staging at Waffle House for a week in preparation for a Waffle-House style throwdown at the upcoming Charleston Wine & Food Festival in SC. I think this is the third year they are having this competition at CWFF.

The unique thing about Waffle House cheffing is - there are no printed or written tickets! All orders are given to the cook verbally. The cooks set up china plates in a row and keep track of the orders with visual clues. An omelette with green peppers and mushrooms might get a piece of diced green pepper and a slice of mushroom on the rim. Flatware might be used to designate the hash brown order by the way they are crossed or laid side-by-side. It's fascinating, and takes a lot of skill.

Leah's right, my skills instructor (Billy Graham) did tell us in our first class to take our butts to Waffle house and sit at the counter for a couple of hours and watch the cooks work. So I did. It was an eye-opening, wonderful experience.

Good luck to Chef Anthony in the competition - I'll bet he kills it!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Robin, in response to your earlier question, I think articles like this about a local chef doing something unusual or unique are deftly worth posting. In addition items that are something very unique happening elsewhere or something unusual elsewhere are very interested to read. However just items that are click bait are not. For instance, if a story about a chef training staging at waffle house was not about a local chef it would be interesting.

no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:00 pm

What in the heck Waffles Houses are you all going to? My last three (and I do mean last!) experiences at Waffle House, we never even got our food! Granted, we may or may not have been there at ungodly hours. Have they improved over the last decade?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Adam Robinson wrote:What in the heck Waffles Houses are you all going to? My last three (and I do mean last!) experiences at Waffle House, we never even got our food! Granted, we may or may not have been there at ungodly hours. Have they improved over the last decade?

Any one I've ever been to was pretty efficient. The service was always very quick and you got your food very quickly also. The food there is decent and very reasonably priced. Certainly not the best place in town but certainly not a terrible choice either. We've never had a problem getting our food!

no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:16 pm

^ this.

Pretty much *worship* Waffle House and have always marveled at the obvious "talent" of those line cooks, especially when the place is slamming (which it usually is) and crazy orders are being yelled every 20 seconds.