Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dundee done be a gastropub now

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:14 pm

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

The Dundee Gastropub's Dundee Dip

What's a gastropub, anyway? This culinary neologism has been floating around since the middle of the last decade, and some say it cries out for mockery. "Gastropub"? It sounds, a bit unnervingly, like some kind of medical condition afflicting the digestive system.

What's more, plenty of the more pompous food scribes decry the term. I still remember an odd analysis by one local food reviewer, who dismissed "gastropub" as an annoying label, misused and meaningless, reserved for bars that wanted to serve house-made ketchup.

This tut-tutting seemed excessive to me, given that at least a half-dozen metro eateries have happily accepted the moniker, and I'd rate most of them among my favorite places to enjoy a comfortable meal with interesting fare and a pint of craft beer.

Count 'em: The late, lamented Blind Pig and the very-much-alive Village Anchor Pub & Roost may have been the local progenitors, but the genre has prospered over the past decade, including but not limited to New Albany's fine Exchange Pub & Kitchen, the too-short-lived AP Crafters and the last incarnation of The Brewery as it segued into Ward 426.

And now, good news, demonstrating that the alleged demise of the gastropub – like Mark Twain's fabled obituary – has been greatly exaggerated: Louisville's beloved Dundee Tavern, a Douglass Loop landmark since, well, the closing years of the last millennium, has reinvented itself under new owners as … get ready for it … the Dundee Gastropub!

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/dunde ... tropub-now
And in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/03/dundee ... ropub-now/

The Dundee Gastropub
2224 Dundee Road
458-6637
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dund ... 7120196190
Robin Garr's rating: 84 points
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

Re: Dundee done be a gastropub now

by Lonnie Turner » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:15 am

Agree good things are going on in the way of the menu. Sadly, even after I made a second call a couple of weeks ago - this time requesting to speak to the manager - the link to their public face on the web yields the same "This content is currently unavailable" message.
Untitled-1.jpg

I explained quite clearly to the lady that it appears unless you are among those who have a FB account that the general public is unable to view their menu or anything else they may have to convey. From my research it seems there are settings that allow anyone or only FB people to get on, which is what I told her. She said she'd look into it. After two weeks and two tries you'd think they'd have gotten such a fundamental problem fixed. As of about a year ago I'd read that 57% of U.S. adults are on FB. So Dundee Gastropub is not interested in the business of the other 43% of us. What gives, I have to wonder, with that? Do they get kickbacks from Zuckerberg? I'd talk to them myself but I've done it twice and am pretty much done with them at this point. We normally check online for menu specials or other things that may be going on when deciding where to eat. I made an exception when we went there the one time because they were so new I figured they didn't have their online act together yet. But, despite our good experience one time, it doesn't look like we'll be back as they don't want the "43%". There are too many places that don't put up a firewall against the general public to bother with those that do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:34 am

:Lonnie, there's something weird, though. When I click through the link on the post above (which I trimmed using the Google link shortener) I get the same result.

But when I click directly to The Dundee Gastropub page when I'm logged in to Facebook, it's fine. Maybe they've got something funky about their privacy settings? The page isn't down, though. Try this link and let me know if it works. If you really want to hack, try this link both while logged in to Facebook and while not, and see if it makes a difference ...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dundee-Gastropub/165227120196190
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Same result as the screencap above. I don't have a FB account so can't try it that way, though I assume if I got my wife to try it with hers that it would come up OK. Like I say, I pointed out to the management that it appears unless you have a FB account you can't view their site due to some oddity with how they've set it up. It's clearly not endemic to FB per se as I can get into scads of other restaurant FB pages. Can't understand why they've not fixed it since their settings block a huge amount of the public from visiting their page.
BTW, I had that turkey w/ fig jam sandwich. It was great.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:Same result as the screencap above. I don't have a FB account so can't try it that way, though I assume if I got my wife to try it with hers that it would come up OK. Like I say, I pointed out to the management that it appears unless you have a FB account you can't view their site due to some oddity with how they've set it up. It's clearly not endemic to FB per se as I can get into scads of other restaurant FB pages. Can't understand why they've not fixed it since their settings block a huge amount of the public from visiting their page.
BTW, I had that turkey w/ fig jam sandwich. It was great.

I go in there often enough I'll just bring it up every time we get food. I imagine they'll be annoyed enough to fix it within a month :)