Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Jezebel's server snark eats its own young this week ...

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:25 am

I haven't posted this column lately because it turned toward a mean snide that reminded me of the defunct Eater. This one's funny, though.

http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/restaura ... 1688852466
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Jezebel's server snark eats its own young this week ...

by RonnieD » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 am

I wondered what happened. I have missed it.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:10 pm

RonnieD wrote:I wondered what happened. I have missed it.

They've just been mean, Ronnie. I'll gladly share a link so you can go look, but really, as I said, it had shifted to a kind of humor that reminded me of the late, unlamented Eater kids, and I didn't care to put it on the forum or Facebook. :P

I watch for it every week, though, and when the snark outweighs the snide, I'll post ...
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:30 pm

Some of those are just plain sad. I can't believe that people who work in the food industry can get away without knowing the basics of food allergies. It just goes to show that the American education system continues to decline.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:19 pm

The spinach thing, yes. But the allergen thing can be tricky. It's still fairly new to the culture, so it's common that people, customers and employees, are making mistakes. I still have to explain to people why rice is "gluten free" and bread is not. And so on.

But yes, some of those are head scratchers.

Robin, understood, just wasn't aware it had turned sour. If the meet muster, then please keep them coming.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:33 pm

RonnieD wrote:Robin, understood, just wasn't aware it had turned sour. If the meet muster, then please keep them coming.

Maybe it was just a midwinter mood thing with me, Ronnie, but I thought it had gone from fun snark to an undercurrent of meanness that I didn't want to propagate. Almost a sense of bullying the stupid for being stupid. But C.A. Pinkham was willing to turn his sights on his industry peers this time, and it still felt more like fun.
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:08 am

Mark R. wrote:Some of those are just plain sad. I can't believe that people who work in the food industry can get away without knowing the basics of food allergies. It just goes to show that the American education system continues to decline.

There's another peculiarity that adds to the confusion. It is the number of people without allergies who cavalierly say they are allergic to things like mayo or tomatoes when ordering. I've heard multiple people use similar rationale, like "I figure they're less likely to screw up my order if I say that I have an allergy." :roll:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:13 am

Paul S wrote:There's another peculiarity that adds to the confusion. It is the number of people without allergies who cavalierly say they are allergic to things like mayo or tomatoes when ordering. I've heard multiple people use similar rationale, like "I figure they're less likely to screw up my order if I say that I have an allergy." :roll:

Marsha did a really good post on that a while back:

Marsha's 'Industry Standard' wrote:This is important: Please don’t lie about food allergies. Some diners think it’s expedient to claim they are allergic to a hated ingredient to ensure it doesn’t end up on their plate. We in the kitchen are trained to take such claims seriously and at face value. So, if you tell your server, “I’m allergic to mushrooms,” and then order pommes frites, you could bring your meal, other patrons’ meals and the whole kitchen “engine” to a grinding halt while a cook devotes a whole burner and 15 minutes to heating a fresh pot of oil, since mushrooms have been in the fryer at some point earlier. And your fries will end up a pale imitation of what they could have been had they been properly blanched, cooled and re-fried in the high-BTU professional grade fryer.

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/the-service-triangle
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:38 am

I stopped following the link after some food adulteration stories where added and the moderator defended the practice against people pointing out that that should never be done.

I mean really, what more do you need to know?