Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Fantastic Dinner at Artemisia

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Fantastic Dinner at Artemisia

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Folks,

Last night, Brian & I had a babysitter and actually got to go out! We chose to go to Artemisia as we've always enjoyed the food there and we had restaurant.com certificates. It was an excellent choice! The atmosphere on the patio with a jazz ensemble (every Friday and Saturday nights) was wonderful and Chef Allen outdid himself with the food! We split a Butternut squash flan to start: it was very delicate but great flavored. Brian had the KY Bison with Bourbon Barrel Smoked Peppercorn sauce which was cooked perfectly and had just the right amount of pepper bite in the sauce. I had the Quail in a Port Reduction Glaze over butternut & apple risotto which our server highly recommended. It was unbelievably good: the quail was incredibly moist and yummy, and the sauce was to die for: intensely flavored, slightly sweet and slightly spicy. I've never tasted anything quite like it. I mopped up every bit of that sauce- first on my quail and then on my risotto.

We were so stuffed, we just split a Passion Fruit Sorbet for dessert. Artemisia's ice creams/sorbets are house-made by their pastry chef (disclousure: Rachel is a friend) and it was a perfect finish to our meal: really tart and light. Service was excellent too.

I'm always puzzled that I don't see more about this great place on HotBytes: it's one of our favorites. TIf you haven't been to Artemesia lately, it's time for another look.

Happy Holidays all!

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:17 pm

I've had that Butternut Squash flan and it is SO good.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:50 pm

We went through a spell where we ate there quite a bit. We need to visit again soon. We've always thought they do a nice job.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Lutes

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jeremy Lutes » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Chef Allen was my next-door neighbor and best friend as a child - so I'm obviously biased as a result - but I love their food, especially the burger. Not sure if the winter rabbit is still on the menu, but I've had that several times and LOVED it.

I will also add that my jazz group has played there before, and the staff are very accomodating - they give us room to set up and never make us feel like we're in the way.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Fantastic Dinner at Artemisia

by TP Lowe » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:02 pm

Deb Hall wrote:
I'm always puzzled that I don't see more about this great place on HotBytes: it's one of our favorites.

Deb

My sense is that Artemesia fell out of favor for some time after one of the more prominent chefs moved on - I apologize for not remembering his name, but the vibe seemed bad for awhile after he left. I've been a couple of times in the past year and think it is generally fine, but not on my short list of favorites (and that may be my fault, not Artemesia's!)
Last edited by TP Lowe on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Fantastic Dinner at Artemisia

by Ron Johnson » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:32 pm

TP Lowe wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:
I'm always puzzled that I don't see more about this great place on HotBytes: it's one of our favorites.

Deb

My sense is that Artemesia fell out of favor for some time after one of the more prominent chefs moved on - I apologize for not remember his name, but the vibe seemed bad for awhile after he left. I've been a couple of times in the past year and think it is generally fine, but not on my short list of favorites (and that may be my fault, not Artemesia's!)

That's been my exact experience as well. I wil be glad to find out that things are back on the upswing. I've always liked Artemesia.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Local sourcing

by Deb Hall » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:32 pm

We hadn't been in probably 9 months to a year (so many choices, so little time/budget/babysitters.) We were also very pleasantly surprised by how much Chef Allen is using local ingredients: just off the top of my head there was Duncan rabbbit, KY Bison, Sheltowee Mushrooms and Bourbon Smoked sauces (from FB-3 next door).....

Man, now I'm craving that Quail again...

Deb