Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

New Indian Restaurant coming to J-town

no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

New Indian Restaurant coming to J-town

by Terri Beam » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:57 pm

There's a new Indian restaurant going into the building that formerly housed Yummy Wok (and another Chinese place before that, I think). It's behind McDonald's at the corner of Bluegrass Parkway and Blankenbaker (adjacent to Backyard Burgers).

Unfortunately I was unable to catch the name while driving (if there was one posted). All I saw was "Indian Restaurant Coming Soon" or something like that.

The building has been vacant for a very long time. Considering the nearest other Indian restaurant is on Hurstbourne, it might be a welcome addition to the chains that dominate the industrial park area.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: New Indian Restaurant coming to J-town

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:41 pm

I noticed that sign the other day when we went by there. Unfortunately I think it also said that it was going to be a buffet. Hopefully not because normally they are the finest food around but will have to wait and see. I know the Chinese place that used to be there was far from being the best around!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

RussB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Fern Creek

by RussB » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Mark R. wrote:the Chinese place that used to be there

"King Buffet". It was not so bad when the place opened, but the quality deteriorated over time, and we quickly stopped going there.

According to the Yellow Pages, the new place will be called "Shandaar Indian Restaurant".

They appear to have a Facebook page, but it is not visible to non-Facebook members like me.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:31 pm

From their Facebook page:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:40 pm

A Yelp friend just told me that the place is amazing. They post their buffet on facebook daily. I noticed they had my favorite dish- Malai Kofta- on the buffet today. Nobody EVER has that on the buffet and it is soooo good.think I will check them out tomorrow. Their menu looks good and the prices are fair.their website is up and running well!
no avatar
User

Catie Sparks

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:12 am

by Catie Sparks » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:04 pm

We have been twice - once on opening weekend for the buffet, and once for dinner.

Opening weekend - the hot buffet was fantastic. Chicken tikka masala, chicken curry, allo gohbi, channa masala, dal makhani, shrimp vindaloo, and surely some other entrees I am forgetting. The naan was perfect. Service - it was meh. They weren't crowded, and it was opening weekend so I expected them to be on their best behavior. We never got refills and were not checked on while we were eating.

As for the cold buffet, the salad fixings were sad and droopy. No bother to us though - we had more important things to be tasting! There was an array of chutneys and desserts as well.

We went for an early dinner two Fridays ago - around 4:30. there were only three other tables the entire time we were there. We went for the dinner buffet, as they had originally had both lunch and dinner buffets on their online and take home menu. Unfortunately they had since opted to only offer the buffet at lunch. Not a big deal, as we were able to make our entrees spicier to our liking.

While we waited for our order, we were served the usual papadum and chutneys. Our dinner consisted of chicken tikka masala, vegetable samosas, garlic naan, and tandoori roti. Once again delicious, and we stuffed ourselves to capacity. Service was much better this time, perhaps because there were only a handful of tables as this early hour. Very friendly and attentive.

Hands down we will be back. Just typing this up has made me crave some curry!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:33 pm

I had lunch there today. It wasn't very busy but they said weekdays are good and advertising is on its way.

I found the buffet to be on par with most Indian buffets in town. The interior is very nice and has so much more character than many suburban restaurants. All said, its a nice addition to a part of town weak in ethnic selections
James J. Natsis