Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

60 West Closing

no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

60 West Closing

by Jason G » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:08 am

Just saw on facebook 60 West is closing saturday. The replacement?

Bombozz taphouse. :roll:

Nothing against Bombozz its good food, I just think there are enough pizza places in that 1 mile radius in St. Matthews. Would have been nice to have some more variety.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: 60 West Closing

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:54 am

Jason G wrote:Bombozz taphouse. :roll:

Nothing against Bombozz its good food, I just think there are enough pizza places in that 1 mile radius in St. Matthews. Would have been nice to have some more variety.

The Taphouse concept specifically, like the models at Bardstown/Eastern Parkway and in Westport Village, aren't just more cookie-cutter pizzerias, though. It's a perfect approach for the St Matthews zone, where the beer-and-booze fueled hordes really do seem to have an endless appetite for pizza. :mrgreen:

Where this is going to get interesting is that it's right across the street from Mellow Mushroom, which kinda sorta taps the same vein. Those two might be wrestling for a bigger slice of the (pizza) pie. I don't see it as a threat to Coals or DiOrio's, though. Spinelli's in St. Matthews? Does anybody ever go there? :lol:
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:55 am

I think it is a good move for Boombazz to grab that space. The parking is so much better than Mellow Mushroom and the visibility is great. But I am surprised he is putting in a Boombazz so close to his Frankfort shop. Wonder if there might be another concept planned for that space? Funny, I use to wring my hands with every new business opening up around us. It has not made a difference. In fact we have grown every year. Be aware of the competition, but mostly, concentrate on your own formula and you will be okay.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:04 pm

Madeline Peters wrote:But I am surprised he is putting in a Boombazz so close to his Frankfort shop. Wonder if there might be another concept planned for that space?

Actually it's also quite close to his Westport Village location. With the way that many places have been fleeing Westport Village recently I wonder if he's going to close that location and the Frankfort Avenue location and combine them into this operation?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Emilie Knieriem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:55 pm

St. Matthews

by Emilie Knieriem » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Jason you beat me to the punch in posting our news. Yes you are correct 60 West is closing, however I do want to clarify that the reason behind closing...actually selling...is not need based but rather want based. The opportunity presented itself and also gave us the opportunity to be a part of a well established, respectful, accomplished restaurant which I thought was a very intelligent business decision for my family at this time in our lives. My husband has put his blood, sweat and tears into this place literally and we have gone through various changes through our 12 + years. Having started this business as a small coffee shop /cafe while still a junior in college I feel proud of what the business eventually grew into. I learned SO much through the process, including people WILL take advantage of you, especially when you are young and naive, and unfortunately even your closest friends when given the opportunity will as well. That being said we are proud to be closing the doors when business is better than ever, but at the end of the day with a 3 yr old and now 1 week old at home realize family is more important and this is an opportunity we can't pass up. Thank you to all of you who have been positive through our growth, and understanding that this business, or should I say lifestyle, is not one we knew prior to opening our doors 12 years ago. We will be open through tomorrow night and will have some old employees moonlighting along with a big party to close this chapter of our life out. Again thanks for all the support throughout the years!

Regards,
Emilie Knieriem
60 West Bistro & Martini Bar
3939 Shelbyville Rd.
Louisville, KY 40207
www.60westbistro.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Perhaps Tony P will drop in here and give us some back story, but if I recall correctly, the Taphouses are franchised. The Frankfort Avenue store is company-owned. So if I'm guessing right, they wouldn't be moving shop from Westport Village but inking an arrangement with an additional franchise-holder. Of course, I could be wrong about that!

PS: Now that this Louisville institution is almost 20 years old, could we please try to spell it "BoomBozz"? I see "Boombazz" around a lot, but that's not its name. ;)
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm sure the bombozz tap house concept will kill it there esp with a nice patio in the summer. I will visit myself for sure. So I didn't mean any disrespect to your business choice. Or to boombozz.

I was just more being selfish in wanting more varied menu options in an area that already has spinellis, saints, diorios, coals, mellow mushroom and now add bombozz. But, hey, if the area will support another best of luck it just seems like they would start cannibalizing each others business.
no avatar
User

Emilie Knieriem

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by Emilie Knieriem » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:08 pm

No disrespect taken at all Jason! Just wanted to give a background of the reasoning before rumors start flying as they often do! :wink:
Emilie Knieriem
3939 Shelbyville Rd.
Louisville, KY 40207
www.60westbistro.com
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Emilie Knieriem wrote:No disrespect taken at all Jason! Just wanted to give a background of the reasoning before rumors start flying as they often do! :wink:

Emilie,

We have always enjoyed your restaurant, so Im glad you are getting out of 60West on a high note rather than a low one.
Will it be you and your husband operating the new Boombozz? Or did you sell out and are leaving the restaurant industry behind completely?
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Emilie Knieriem

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by Emilie Knieriem » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Thank you so much Doug! We will not be operating the new Boombozz but rather will have a small partnership interest in the new Boombozz. You never know there may be a martini or two pop up on the menu there which were favorites of our customers!
Emilie Knieriem
3939 Shelbyville Rd.
Louisville, KY 40207
www.60westbistro.com