Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

3D Printers In The Kitchen

no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

3D Printers In The Kitchen

by RichardM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:20 pm

I just came across this on SlashDotOrg:

an article from Fortune about the tiny industry springing up around food-related 3D printing. While such devices are still too expensive and too special-purpose for home kitchens, professionals in restaurants and large cafeterias are figuring out ways they can automate certain time-intensive tasks. For example, pasta: "If the user is making a recipe for ravioli, for instance, the [device] prints the bottom layer of dough, the filling and the top dough layer in subsequent steps. It reduces a lengthy recipe to two minutes construction time and ensures that no one has to clean a countertop caked with leftover dough and flour." The companies developing these 3D printers hope they'll be this generation's version of the microwave, gradually finding a use in almost every kitchen.
http://fortune.com/2015/02/26/3d-food-printing/

I am all for it!! Maybe Suzib will let me get a 3D Printer if it will make food...

Cool ideas of what you can do. At the end of the article is a short video.

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Re: 3D Printers In The Kitchen

by Leah S » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:53 pm

I know I've stumbled across a few mentions in my pastry sources of experimentation with 3d chocolate printing. An obvious choice for a pastry chef to design some cool stuff.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:29 am

I get what they are trying to do, via The Jetson's, but this concept is a long way off. I can promise you that you will have to compromise on texture, and a variety of other things, to get the food through that spigot. I can see it for decorative dessert flourishes but not for other things. Then again, I am showing my age.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun May 15, 2016 12:09 pm

According to The New Yorker magazine, the Culinary Institute of America has "...engaged their newest assistant—a prototype ChefJet Pro, one of the first powder-based 3-D printers for food."

and:

"At the Culinary Institute of America, food scientists use 3-D printing for edible creations, including a delicate French-vanilla cage that turns into a glaze when drizzled with espresso."

Neilson-AlltheFoodThatsFittoPrint-320.jpg
Neilson-AlltheFoodThatsFittoPrint-320.jpg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

Any local places with designs on getting one of these??
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun May 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Hmmmm...will 3D printing in food/chocolate/pasta be to its industry what CGI is to animation?
Not really sure what to make of it.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson