Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Lots of local restaurants on Groupon

by Alanna H » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm

no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Lots of local restaurants on Groupon

by Jason G » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:22 pm

My recommendation if someone is running a groupon call the business and ask if you can just buy the same from them directly. They will get twice as much money from the deal. Groupon gets left out but...so what.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:52 pm

Jason G wrote:My recommendation if someone is running a groupon call the business and ask if you can just buy the same from them directly. They will get twice as much money from the deal. Groupon gets left out but...so what.

Jason,

Can you show me the math on that. I am terribly confused. I purchase a groupon for $25 and it is good for $50 at restaurant. Instead I call up restaurant and say, listen I saw you had a groupon for $50 but I only have to pay $25 for it. Can I just come in and get fifty dollars worth of food and only pay you twenty-five? Where is it the restaurant gets twice as much money? Because Groupon keeps half the $25 I paid? I am not sure but I don't thing Groupon keeps half.

I understand the principal. Restaurant hopes I spend 75 or 80 and usually Groupons don't include alcohol or tax or gratuity, so I get $25 toward my total bill of the meal.

Help me,
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:56 pm

Groupon used to keep half of the selling price. I think you could negotiate it a bit, but that was the starting %.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:13 am

RichardM wrote:
Jason G wrote:My recommendation if someone is running a groupon call the business and ask if you can just buy the same from them directly. They will get twice as much money from the deal. Groupon gets left out but...so what.

Jason,

Can you show me the math on that. I am terribly confused. I purchase a groupon for $25 and it is good for $50 at restaurant. Instead I call up restaurant and say, listen I saw you had a groupon for $50 but I only have to pay $25 for it. Can I just come in and get fifty dollars worth of food and only pay you twenty-five? Where is it the restaurant gets twice as much money? Because Groupon keeps half the $25 I paid? I am not sure but I don't thing Groupon keeps half.

I understand the principal. Restaurant hopes I spend 75 or 80 and usually Groupons don't include alcohol or tax or gratuity, so I get $25 toward my total bill of the meal.

Help me,

Correct, Groupon keeps half. So if you pay $25 on Groupon the restaurant is getting like $12.50. Restaurants may be less likely to do this because of the higher volume it would be harder to keep track of. But for sure if it is any other local small business just call them up and say "hey can i just pay you the $25 instead" and I will almost guarantee they will take it.

I own a small business as well and we did a groupon once...never again. Generally the people you get from that are just deal seekers who won't return anyway.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 am

While we're on the topic, hasn't Groupon just about faded from sight? I used to see their offers constantly, and now I rarely do. This thread is frankly the first time I've seen it mentioned for months.

Or maybe I just opted out enough that they quit spamming me?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Or maybe I just opted out enough that they quit spamming me?

This must be the explanation because we keep getting offers from them almost every day. By far the largest majority are worth looking at or interesting but we have taken advantage of a couple of the restaurant offers.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:25 pm

I gave up on Groupon a couple of years ago. Seemed like most of the stuff was just sort of useless in my life. Glad others are finding some value.