Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Back from San Diego!

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Back from San Diego!

by Linda C » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:32 pm

We left before the blizzard hit. My husband, bless his soul, tacked on four more days in the 70 degree weather. So...I did my research.the best Indian food, Royal India, was awful.all salt and nothing else. Nouveau Mexican, Don Chido was unimpressive and their "famous" Margaritas were small and weak. The Ville Taqueria smoked them in quality and price. Mexican lunch in Old Town was gross. We had one great meal at a little TexMex joint called Jimmy Carter's Cafe. Super Relleno. We had another great meal at Blue Water Seafood, where they cook fresh seafood from the display case , which Seafood Connection mastered. In short, I was so under impressed with the cuisine compared to Louisville. Licking my chops from a carryout at Shalimar...
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Back from San Diego!

by James Natsis » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:08 am

Interesting observations. I kindda had a similar experience.

I was in San Diego last May for a 4-day conference. I lodged in a hotel tower near the conference center. This was my second time there.

First, for those who enjoy the ocean and those types of activities, its hard to beat. The weather was great, but at this time in May Louisville is lush green and offers a better contrast to the natural scrub land of southern CA.

Although I did have an excellent Thai dinner and a pleasant vietnamese pho, I wasn't too impressed with the general food scene in the touristy center. Let's face it, with the influx of so many tourists and 80 baseball home games in the padres stadium smack downtown, they don't need to be too creative.

I ventured beyond the park area inland where its more "cool and hipster." I'll take the Highlands anytime. The houses are small and non-descript, and anything not watered regularly is scrub. The cafe and restaurant selection was not impressive.....let's just say that I kept bragging about Louisville to my colleague who accompanied me during our stay.

I recognize why people love it there--year-round awesome weather, marine sports, beach towns, etc. But its not my scene. Now, Montréal, that's another story...............
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:59 pm

Don't get me wrong, I loved the city and Balboa Park, great bus system, etc. but we were there a full week and had many meals at many places and just had no meals to really brag about. We are so lucky to have great places here!
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:39 am

Can you remember the name of the place you had a disappointing Mexican meal in Old Town? We will be going to a play in Old Town and I have almost decided on a place to eat...but you may change my mind!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Cafe Guadaljara was the place in Old Town. No taste. Forgot to add that we loved Mimmo's in Little Italy. Cute interior, real kitschy but fun!
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:44 am

Thanks Linda!!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei