Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Agave Mexican Restaurant

User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Agave Mexican Restaurant

by Adriel Gray » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Talking about Agave sitting on Hikes Point right next to the Golden Nugget, near Klondike. http://www.yelp.com/biz/agave-mexican-b ... louisville

Went with the galpal to go to the carniceria next door, because they sometimes have a little taco truck. With the bad weather the taco truck was closed, so I just thought we would poke our heads in at Agave, but thought for sure it would be another Mexi-merican experience like a El Nopal or the like. Instead this place is the REAL DEAL. Tacos galore, good meat preparations, and all the good salsa roja, and salsa verde you want. Plus the small space is really clean and well manicured. It was even, dare I say, cute, but would by no means ever be considered ostentatious.

Started with warm chips, and a really solid salsa. Got some guacamole that was really course, thick, and lots of good onion flavor and slightly acidic.

They had a lomo taco that I LOVED! Now lomo means loin in spanish, and they called this a ribeye on the menu. Not sure that either of these were true. This was definitely beef, but what the real cut is I could not say. Regardless it was like a very thin tenderized steak cut cooked on the grill, then placed in your corn tortilla. Imagine a flat beef steak that you roll over in your tortilla with onions, tomatillo salsa, and cilantro. It is fabulous even if I can't identify it.

The lady friend had sopes. For those unfamiliar I've also heard them called pellizcadas elsewhere, and they are like a little tart that have a crunchy outer shell and warm soft innards with all your steak and avacados and fixins on top. Most sopes I have seen are slightly larger, so some might call these sopecitos, but either way they ruled. I have never had any that had as good a snap and mouth feel to the masa shell as these.

We had Tecate served in iced mugs with salt on the rim and a lime. Made everything better.

Go! You may see me there, cause I'll be back, and it's in my neighborhood WOOT!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Agave Mexican Restaurant

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks for the report, Adriel! Agave sounds like one for the to-do list for sure!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:39 pm

This place isn't too far from us, either. Looking forward to trying it, if we can avoid Al Watan's gravitational pull...
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:31 am

Iggy C wrote:This place isn't too far from us, either. Looking forward to trying it, if we can avoid Al Watan's gravitational pull...

Do it! If you hate it, post the tab on here, I will paypal you. That's fer reelz. :mrgreen:
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Is this a sit down type place or counter service?

Liquor?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Hey everybody! Let's go. Adriel is buying!
:mrgreen:
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:38 pm

:D :D :D

It's table service with a small bar. They have tequila, and beer...

This week they had plantains with their guacamole and it was awesome!