Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Clifton Donut Shop

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:59 am

RonnieD wrote:Support!

Have they had pretty good crowds, Ronnie? Keeping busy enough to make it, as far as you can see?
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:43 pm

There are customers in there every morning when I drive by.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Sunday mornings are pretty packed. Weekdays are hit and miss when I'm in around 9, but I might be missing the early crowd. I have no idea what afternoons are like, but it seems like I always see at least one or two other cars in the lot or people in the shop when I go.

I'm doing all I can to keep them going! Really super people.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:33 pm

I stopped by there today for my "usual" - an apple fritter and a bavarian creme. I'm not really a big donut guy but in this case I'm making a (fairly regular) exception.

I love their donuts and, even more, like the family.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon May 18, 2015 9:24 am

Just bumping this up because oh my those apple fritters.....so good!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Mon May 18, 2015 10:22 am

We go every Sunday for our breakfast treat. And I usually go once during the week to get a dozen for the office staff. They seem to stay plenty busy.

Please be forgiving as their English is a little rudimentary and it may take a minute to explain something if you have a specific question. They are super sweet folks and will do everything they can to help you.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 18, 2015 10:59 am

We went by Saturday and picked up three dozen for a monthly event, and were very happy. As a point of comparison, we had gone to Plehn's in the past and ordered two dozen, but Clifton's are a little smaller. Three dozen at Clifton cost about the same as two dozen at Plehn's, and provide about as much total donut mass (roughly speaking).

But here's the clincher: Clifton's donuts are much better than Plehn's. Not that Plehn's are not good ... it was my previous go-to donut. But the nice folks at Clifton have got skillz.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri May 22, 2015 8:37 pm

I impressed many at work today with a variety of flavors from Clifton. All varieties were really good -- hope to try the strawberry and blueberry bake next time, but some other teachers snapped them up before I got to them. I was there at 5:50, only one other customer, but quiet early. The staff was very friendly. It was very cool to see the lady squirt the cream in my son's donut shortly after it was cooked!

Anyway, I wanted to post so it would be known that these threads have value to our local businesses. I bought 26 today, will go back for more, but it's not in my area and I likely wouldn't have learned about it were it not for this thread.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 23, 2015 7:07 am

SilvioM wrote:Anyway, I wanted to post so it would be known that these threads have value to our local businesses. I bought 26 today, will go back for more, but it's not in my area and I likely wouldn't have learned about it were it not for this thread.

Thank you, Silvio! This was one of my goals in setting up this forum oh so many years ago. It's a special pleasure for me to hear that it is working. :)
no avatar
User

Scott Endres

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Crescent Hill

by Scott Endres » Sat May 23, 2015 9:07 am

Let the children decide!

I am a teacher in Southern Indiana but live in Crescent Hill. Over the school year the students in my 1st period get to decide each Friday what is for breakfast, a reward for working hard in a non-credit class. So far this year they have chosen, through their experience or my description: Nord's, Plehn's, Bussman's, Clifton's, Krispy Kreme, Jeff's, Panera Bread, Nancy's Bagels, Kroger, and Adrienne and Co. The winner, that gets requested by my students easily 2 to 1 over the rest of the competition combined is Bussman's.

I bring this up because I'm concerned about their business with the new competition on the scene. Cliftons is good and I enjoy the place but I would hate the neighborhood to lose a long time tradition in Bussmans as we chase the shiny new star.

I guess the answer is to double our doughnut intake. I'm in.
Have a Good Day!
Scott

Teaching Is Too Important to Take Seriously!
http://www.paperwadideas.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 23, 2015 9:50 am

Scott Endres wrote:I guess the answer is to double our doughnut intake. I'm in.

You're a mensch! :lol:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Sat May 23, 2015 11:39 am

There is likely room for both Bussman's and Clifton, but as I said to someone a few weeks back, competition is good in this capacity as it brings cause for everyone to step up their game and not rest on being in the time honored tradition or the only game in town. The end result is better donuts for everyone!

I was confused as to why Bussman's discontinued lunch a few weeks back as that would seem to give them the edge over a strictly donut shop. Maybe they want to focus more on their donut business to better compete?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Sun May 24, 2015 10:27 am

Piling onto this thread and echoing Silvio, Clifton Donut is a treasure. We made our first visit this morning, thanks entirely to this forum. We never go to that area and would never have known about it otherwise. The family is kind and warm, the environment charmingly traditional, and the prices crazy-reasonable. It's a dangerous new addition to our "special treat" destination list. :D My son was very taken by the chocolate donuts with chocolate glaze and sprinkles: a five-year-old's fondest wish expressed in sugar and yeast. He emphatically announced "this is WAY better than Dunkin Donuts." Now to find an excuse to hit Bussman's and compare ...
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Sun May 24, 2015 2:12 pm

They were packed this morning when we rolled up for our Sunday morning fix. Very happy to see all of the support!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Michael S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 pm

by Michael S » Tue May 26, 2015 9:18 am

Found myself on lower Brownsboro yesterday morning at 11:30 and as a lover of deep fried bread I took a shot that they were still open. As we pulled up it was obvious that they had finished for the day and as I began backing up a man came running out the front door waving at us. He confirmed they were closed but asked us to wait a moment as he disappeared back inside. He reemerged with a small bag containing a dozen glazed donut holes that were exceptional. Clearly, the man was the owner and has earned an out of the way return trip from me the next time I'm on the hunt for deep fried bread. An excellent product with an exceptional desire to please his customers. Pair those two basic tenets with consistently meeting expectations and these guys will be around a very long time. Well played!
Culinary delight is in the palate of the indulger.
Burning Bush Grille
Mediterranean Cafe
http://www.burningbushgrille.com
13206 W Hwy 42
Prospect, KY. 40059
PreviousNext