Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Bobby Benjamin's new place in the old Blind Pig

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:34 pm

User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Bobby Benjamin's new place in the old Blind Pig

by RonnieD » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:47 pm

So is it a grocery or is it a restaurant where I can also buy the ingredients I am being served? Because I would really like a real grocery in this area. The restaurant would be a bonus, but the grocery would be the draw.

Is this what passes for a Jewish deli in Louisville? :lol:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Rachel Goldenberg

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Louisville, KY

by Rachel Goldenberg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Here's the full announcement.

Bobby Benjamin to lead new restaurant Butchertown Grocery

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Feb. 20, 2015) - - - Chef Bobby Benjamin will lead a group opening a new neighborhood fine casual dining restaurant and bar this fall. Butchertown Grocery, to be located at the corner of Washington and Buchanan streets in the heart of Butchertown, will offer lunch and dinner with diverse food and drink offerings spanning Benjamin’s career from childhood to the present. Private investors from the area have teamed with Benjamin to revitalize the building that formerly housed the restaurant Blind Pig and separate upstairs bar Meat. The historic building was built in the late 1800s, and the new concept takes design and menu inspiration from its former life as a grocery store. The venue will include more than 100 seats, a chef-curated market downstairs and a speakeasy-style bar with private dining room and live music stage upstairs.

“Butchertown is a special neighborhood and we look forward to building upon Peyton Ray’s vision for this unique venue to create a comfortable, approachable, fun and interesting space for fine food and hospitality,” said Benjamin. “We want Butchertown Grocery to be Louisville’s living room – a ‘third space’ where you can get a business lunch, multi-course meal, late night snack, a superbly crafted cocktail or anything in between…and maybe experience some interesting music as well.”

Partners in the project come from an array of business backgrounds and intend to bring the best elements of their favorite restaurants from around the globe to Butchertown Grocery. All locals, the group is joining forces with Benjamin to actualize their dream of an approachable and high quality restaurant and bar in their hometown and neighborhood as a place to meet, eat and socialize.

About Bobby Benjamin:
Benjamin served as chef de cuisine at The Oakroom at the Seelbach Hotel, maintaining the restaurant’s coveted AAA Five-Diamond status, before joining Falls City Hospitality Group as executive chef to open La Coop: Bistro a Vins in NuLu and Union Common in Nashville, Tenn. He left the group in Jan. to pursue this new project. A graduate of Sullivan University’s National Center for Hospitality Studies, Benjamin worked with nationally renowned chefs including Sean Brock, Wolfgang Puck and Gino Angelini before finding his home in Louisville.

About Butchertown Grocery:
Neighborhood fine casual dining restaurant and bar Butchertown Grocery will open in fall 2015. Chef Bobby Benjamin partnered with a local group to open the venue, located at 1076 E. Washington St. in the heart of Butchertown, which will offer lunch and dinner as well as chef-curated retail offerings, live music and speakeasy-inspired bar. For more information, follow Facebook and Twitter. Website coming soon at butchertowngrocery.com.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Rachel Goldenberg wrote:Here's the full announcement.

Rachel, just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you didn't send that to me on the first email release?
no avatar
User

Holly Hill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 pm

by Holly Hill » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 pm

I hope Bobby Benjamin has been warned about how Peyton Ray does business. He should talk to Joe Frase and Jeremy Johnson. I will never set foot in any establishment that Ray is involved in.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:00 pm

So it sounds like as much of a grocery store and La Bodega (the now defunct place on market) was a bodega.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:19 am

It is named for an old grocery that used to be in that building. That's the extent of the grocery connection.

I appreciate the nod to the neighborhood's past.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Like City Grocery in Oxford, MS.

Looking forward to it
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:31 am

Why is everyone looking at failure before Bobby and his team have even opened the door? So, the past has shown some questionable practices, and if Bobby is smart (trust me, even though I've not met him personally, his record proves his has chops in business and on the line) he will add clauses to the lease agreement to prevent a repeat demise.

His concept is exciting, and in an area that desperately needs destination dining. The area is once again 'up and coming' thanks to the influx of establishments such as Play, Copper & Kings, and the Butchertown Marketplace.

I wish Bobby and his team luck....I look forward to seeing the menu and also seeing what he can do on his own! 8)
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Has anybody heard anything about this restaurant recently? When it was first announced we saw a lot of work going on around the building but that looks to be finished now. I would've thought that it would be open by now but haven't heard anything at all about it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:22 pm

They have some decals up in the window making bold boasts about their anticipated success, but I haven't seen overmuch construction of late, although there is activity in the building.

They must be close to something. Is there going to be a theatre in the place? (there is reference in one of boasts about seeing a "show" but maybe that refers to the music acts upstairs)
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:58 pm

I'm an acquaintance of Bobby's wife, and am told that they are shooting for an opening in early Sept. They will host a few private parties towards the end of July, but they're looking at an official opening in Sept.