Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

Re: Dustin Staggers to open 24 hour diner

by John Lisherness » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:30 pm

How 814 Cherokee Rd looked in 1926 when it was Marrett and Miller Florist.
http://historiclouisville.weebly.com/uploads/1/8/8/3/18836192/7979860_orig.jpg
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:02 am

John Lisherness wrote:How 814 Cherokee Rd looked in 1926 when it was Marrett and Miller Florist.
http://historiclouisville.weebly.com/uploads/1/8/8/3/18836192/7979860_orig.jpg

When I look at old pictures, I often wish time travel was possible for a visit. :)
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:12 pm

We are so excited about this! Having moved here from the land of diners (Queens, NY), we welcome this addition with open arms! Louisville has needed this for such a long time! Mmmmmm...thinking about cheese fries with brown gravy from the Blue Fountain diner in Howard Beach, Queens :)
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:14 pm

Oh yes, cheese fries with brown gravy!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Michele Janosek wrote:Blue Fountain diner in Howard Beach, Queens :)

Awesome indeed, but the Neptune diner in Astoria is supposed to be the one that the other diner owners go to when they're not at their own place. :lol:
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:18 am

OK, to get the thread more on subject......

Dustin is really starting to make his mark on the Louisville dining scene, and I wish him nothing but well, however, one concern that pops up with his efforts is throwing too many irons in the fire. Not saying that success is not going to come his way (I cite in this case Fernando Martinez), however, how many kitschy, trendy, funky places can Louisville, let alone the Highlands, support?

Tie in question....will Louisville become so "food saturated" that it will implode? Discuss amongst yourselves....I'm hoping to get a good debate going!

My thoughts....there has been a HUGE flux of new openings recently, and yes, some (LouVino, 8 Up, Cena) have been properly slotted for their markets. I've yet to go to Rumplings (it is on my radar BEFORE Ethan Ray takes over the kitchen at Roux), but it is most assuredly on the list of well positioned. On the opposite side of the coin is 4th Street and two Brazilian Meat houses in the same block, for an example off the top of my head.

Then we loose due to attrition and/or retirement such fixtures as Palermo Viejo, De La Torres, and most notably, the change over from Gastro Pub to fine dining as The Brewery/Ward 426. One that is in the works that I'm keeping an eye on is KT's to Le Moo.....we'll see how that transpires.

Don't be bashful, but also be respectful....Is it so bad to be concerned that the scene may be growing too quickly?
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 am

by DustinStaggers » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:23 pm

Personally I think restaurants weed themselves out naturally. Even if the market becomes flooded, just like in any other industry, it will eventually even back out.

My idea is to continue to provide this city with concepts that we don't really have and are currently in need of. A great diner is certainly near the top of the list. Great bagels as well. The diner will bring both to the table.
Dustin Staggers
Owner-Roux, Epic Sammich Co, America. The Diner, Ten Tables
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:43 pm

Dustin, you make some very good points that I do agree with....however, is there a saturation point that we've either reached or are close to reaching?

If memory serves, I saw a recent article that showed where Louisville was the 5th per capita location for restaurants in the country....that's alota food per person!

Had a good chat today with Griffin about my concern, and he made some good points as well, especially about filling niches that need to be filled, which you guys are doing very well.....to my waistlines demise :roll:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:14 am

DustinStaggers wrote:Personally I think restaurants weed themselves out naturally. Even if the market becomes flooded, just like in any other industry, it will eventually even back out.

My idea is to continue to provide this city with concepts that we don't really have and are currently in need of. A great diner is certainly near the top of the list. Great bagels as well. The diner will bring both to the table.

I am all for this. Now, how about as much concern for WHERE as there is for WHAT? Must everything be in the Highlands ? I am all for supporting the "Eat Local" mentality but out here in the 265 corridor we have very few choices and some of those (not naming names) are pretty bad. With so much higher end development going on out here (not to mention the bridge) where is the culinary nerve to locate outside of the Highlands?

Come on chefs! You pride yourselves in thinking outside of the box in a culinary sense but not in your location. I remember when Grinsantis made a splash in a big way when they went inner city. (Unheard of then.)
Oh, and by the way - thank you Dean Corbett and Selena's for doing just this!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:54 am

I don't fault any chef or operator for going where the customers are guaranteed to be. Especially for a 24-hour joint that's going to thrive off of nightlife. What's the state of the late-night bar and club scene out in the 265 corridor? They roll up the streets in Middletown and J-town after abour 8pm.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:35 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I don't fault any chef or operator for going where the customers are guaranteed to be. Especially for a 24-hour joint that's going to thrive off of nightlife. What's the state of the late-night bar and club scene out in the 265 corridor? They roll up the streets in Middletown and J-town after abour 8pm.

All this, AND these wild'n'crazy guys are trying to run a squadron of eateries with a small team. It only makes sense to cluster the properties for maximum efficiency.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:21 am

I understand all that. I also see so many subpar places surviving because there is little to compete with them. Selena's is a fine fine restaurant that I sincerely enjoy. It is packed every weekend and most evenings. All I'm saying is you've got the chops you'd do well out here.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:37 am

Carla G wrote:I understand all that. I also see so many subpar places surviving because there is little to compete with them. Selena's is a fine fine restaurant that I sincerely enjoy. It is packed every weekend and most evenings. All I'm saying is you've got the chops you'd do well out here.

You know I have dual citizenship now that I work out there :mrgreen: but I still have to say it: The demographics of the suburbs are different. Seviche failed because most people didn't get it, and were offended because it didn't have the kind of "Mexican" food that they were expecting. Jim Gerhardt was amazed when he moved the Oakroom model out to Hurstbourne only to learn that most people wanted to come to dinner at 5:30 p.m. and get home by 8.

I'm not saying that nobody in the 'burbs is sophisticated. Sure they are. YOU are, Carla. But the fact is that urban eateries don't thrive in the suburbs without some very special factor - Selenas' cozy bar, maybe, and Corbett's high-end white-tablecloth character coupled with lots of easy business from Big Pharma associated with the nearby hospital.

But I honestly don't think you could just export Bardstown Road to Middletown and make it work.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Carla G wrote:I understand all that. I also see so many subpar places surviving because there is little to compete with them. Selena's is a fine fine restaurant that I sincerely enjoy. It is packed every weekend and most evenings. All I'm saying is you've got the chops you'd do well out here.

I certainly agree with you about Selena's but even there they are ready to put out the lights about 10 o'clock except for a few stragglers at the bar. A 24 hour diner there or anywhere else outside the Waterson would have a hard time surviving.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:27 am

I totally hear and agree with Robin and Mark. And yeah, a 24 concept is out of the question out here. But look t it from were I stand -

I do child care and multiple times a week I drive to work for some family in a $700,000 house (a $500,000 house or you get the idea out here in suburbia.) these homes are often tricked out to the max. The family will often have the obliglitory 2 kids. I ask where the parents will be dining and I often hear the same answer - someplace near The Paddocks. (Chainville for sure.) they go because they can get a decent bottle of wine, a cocktail or two and not have to drive a distance home. And no they don't stay out late. They are coming home to kids. I sometimes ask, " have you tried -----" and often hear "oh yeah we love that but it's too far in town and the drive (after a couple of cocktails) is just too far."

All I'm saying is the need, the desire and the money is out here. Waiting. Increase plate prices a couple of dollars for the close proximity factor and close your doors at 11PM. Would that be so bad? Again, not much in the way of competition.
Previous