Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

New Jalisco-style Mexican on Outer Loop

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:45 pm

I just got an email rave about this. Not too much info, but sounds worth the trip out to Okolona. Have any of you been?

Don Juan Birria + Carnitas
5637 Outer Loop
708-2165
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: New Jalisco-style Mexican on Outer Loop

by Iggy C » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:43 am

Looking forward to trying it! Thanks for the heads-up!
no avatar
User

shawn.winsted

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:47 am

by shawn.winsted » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:56 am

My wife and I went in Sunday night and all I can say is our food was delicious! I tried one of each the tacos (carnitas, birria and pork belly) made with fresh tortillas. They were also nice enough to bring out samples of any menu item to try before ordering. As far as adult drinks go the menu is a bit limited with only a couple of tequila choices and a handful of beer selections, but they have a delicious fresh made horchata that is a must try.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:38 am

shawn.winsted wrote:My wife and I went in Sunday night and all I can say is our food was delicious! ...

Thanks for the review, Shawn, and welcome to the forum!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:18 pm

We went the other night, and it was great! Nice to see a Mexican place that's willing to break from the combo-platter/fajita formula and concentrate on what they can do really well to set themselves apart from other places: pork roasted on-site, braised beef and goat, beans, tortillas. We had the pork and the beef and they were both fantastic. Excellent beans, tortillas made in-house, incredibly rich beef broth, cilantro, chile and onions. The owner brought us some of the braised goat to sample, which was really good, too. It was just a nice experience, especially on a cold night. Having Modelo Especial on draft didn’t hurt, either.

This Saturday the 28th they said all entrees will be half-price. It's great at the normal price, so I highly encourage everyone who’s curious to check it out. We will definitely be back.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Iggy C wrote:We went the other night, and it was great!

Thanks for doing the scouting report, Iggy! I figured you'd be one of the first to check it out! 8)

Dang, I wonder if I could break free in time to get over there on Saturday night ...
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Mmmm... I'm in!