Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Help talk me into it...

by Gayle DeM » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Oh, Kim, I'm sure you won't regret your decision!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Kim H wrote: Happy Ash Wednesday!

Thanks!

I'm not Catholic/Episcopalian, so not sure if that's an appropriate greeting :-\)[/quote]
Yeah, it's fine!

Just FYI, we welcome everyone and don't do a denominational or baptism check. :mrgreen: Episcopalians, Catholic, Greek Orthodox and kin have all been doing Ash Wednesday since medieval times, but a lot of Presbyterians, Methodists, Lutherans, even "High Baptists" are doing it now. I heard that a trio of clergy from a Baptist, Methodist and Lutheran church in Crescent Hill got together today for an ecumenical "Ashes To Go" at the Clifton Comfy Cow. The CJ may have a story about ours and theirs tomorrow.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 pm

Kim H wrote: Happy Ash Wednesday!

Thanks!

Kim H wrote:I'm not Catholic/Episcopalian, so not sure if that's an appropriate greeting :-\)

Yeah, it's fine!

Just FYI, we welcome everyone and don't do a denominational or baptism check. :mrgreen: Episcopalians, Catholic, Greek Orthodox and kin have all been doing Ash Wednesday since medieval times, but a lot of Presbyterians, Methodists, Lutherans, even "High Baptists" are doing it now. I heard that a trio of clergy from a Baptist, Methodist and Lutheran church in Crescent Hill got together today for an ecumenical "Ashes To Go" at the Clifton Comfy Cow. The CJ may have a story about ours and theirs tomorrow.[/quote]
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:13 pm

It's not been part of the religion I was raised with, but I believe what you all are doing is a wonderful service, especially given this week's weather - thanks for all you do. And I mean that, you're a very special person!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:35 am

:oops:
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:53 am

Kim H wrote:You're right, you're right! I'll suck it up. I forget how parking is there? It's been a while since we've been.

Forget Parking. Use Lyft or Uber. No parking. Get right into a warm vehicle.

http://www.lyft.com or http://www.uber.com

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Well, it was bitterly cold, and I don't do cold well at all when I don't have to, but I sucked it up and made it to Palermo last night! I'm glad we did, altho I will say it didn't seem to be as good as I remember. "End of days," so to speak, is not the best time to catch a restaurant at its finest, but it was still good, and an enjoyable experience. They do seem to be running out of some things. Certain wines, anyway. We ordered La Parrillada for 2 (oh my gosh, should've ordered for one!), Provoleta, and the garlic fries. All was good, but fries seemed over cooked and on the brownish side, chorizo was way more peppery than I remember, altho still delicious, and the chimichurri didn't seem to have that wow factor that I remember. Mostly oily and kind if bland. We ordered a couple of things to go so we could linger with their memory in days to come, one of which was the Cerdo Con Repollo, the pork loin with red wine cabbage and wiped potatoes, and the
Fideos Al Estofado, pasta with steak and tomato sauce. I had to nibble on these when we got home despite being stuffed. I just need to taste, having never had either, and both are beautiful! To be fair on my review of our actual meal, it's been a few years since we've been there, so my recollection/expectations could very well have been off. Overall, I completely recommend getting your last of Palermo if you can. We were really glad we did!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:57 pm

Kim, I'm certainly glad that you enjoyed your last visit and that our prodding wasn't for naut! We went last week for one last visit and as you said even then they were running out of some kind the wine but everything on the food menu was available! We've been last fall prior to this so we weren't too far between visits and I really didn't get the impression the food had changed noticeably but that's really depends on what you're having and what your memories were! I wish we'd done what you did and get some items to go, there were certainly things on the menu I wanted to have but didn't have room to eat that evening.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:12 pm

Mark - yes, thank you and Gayle esp for prompting me! Robin as well. And don't get me wrong, I loved it, and it was worth the cold (I admit I'd have a different opinion if this wasn't the last opp!) I ordered extra chorizo from the app side that I vacuum-sealed and froze today, will prob freeze that beautiful steak/tom sauce because I ordered the pasta on the side (and hope to find a way to recreate a semblance of that sauce on my own!). Have the pork entree and lots of leftover parillada + fries for the next cpl days. Some of that may end up frozen as well. Lots of salad, which is most likely mine!
Previous