Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Ultimate Fish Fry List for Louisville

by RichardM » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:48 am

Who doesn't love good fried fish during lent? Here's the best list ever for which parishes have Friday Fish Fries.

http://www.louisvillefamilyfun.net/2015/02/lenten-fish-fry-locations-around.html

The best one is at Good Shepherd Catholic Church.

Enjoy you all!

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Ultimate Fish Fry List for Louisville

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:06 am

Don't forget that a few Episcopal churches have fish fries, too. The one at St Luke's in Anchorage is exceptional, with both beer and wine, and a gor-may-style baked fish option in addition to the traditional fry. St Mark's on Frankfort Avenue, just a block or so east of Porcini's, has a good, standard fish fry, too!
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:54 am

This is great! Thanks so much for posting this.

Jim
no avatar
User

PeteOsborne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm

by PeteOsborne » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:32 am

As one of the fry daddies at St. Bernard, I can vouch that the list is missing one ... We have a "Spring Training" test run this Friday (no on-line/drive thru service).

Our fish is very good and we have usually have rolled oysters as well. (not sure about the oyster this week).
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 am

The one at St Luke's in Anchorage is exceptional, with both beer and wine, and a gor-may-style baked fish option

OH! Yes. I like that baked fish option and can have my one glass a day of wine. Have to take that in one Friday this Lenten Season.

Thanks Robin.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:18 am

RichardM wrote:
Have to take that in one Friday this Lenten Season.

Thanks Robin.

Probably best to check in and make sure they are doing it this year first, though! I just assumed that based on the past. :)
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:24 pm

We've tried several different ones around town and have found that Saint Patrick out by Lake Forest has one of the best around. It's a little far out for you inside the Waterson folks but you may want to consider it. We keep forgetting about the St. Luke's dinner even though it's just a around the corner from the house, we'll have to try it this year.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Probably best to check in and make sure they are doing it this year first, though! I just assumed that based on the past. :)

Okay, St. Luke's is on, with the same gang of zanies as in the past. I did an internship there during Lent a few years ago, and those guys are awesome friers. Friars, not so much. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Rob S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:42 am

by Rob S » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:04 pm

We are considering adding a Portobello sandwich and seafood gumbo to the fries at St. James in the Highlands; last year we added oyster shooters. We also have some of the best baked fish around. We will have special auction nights during our fry this year and a large list of micro brews so check us out!
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:24 pm

Rob S wrote:We are considering adding a Portobello sandwich and seafood gumbo to the fries at St. James in the Highlands; last year we added oyster shooters. We also have some of the best baked fish around. We will have special auction nights during our fry this year and a large list of micro brews so check us out!

Please do it! I love fish fries, though not so much the frying part. I'd drop some good bucks on all of the items you mention above!
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:05 am

St. Augustine's on Broadway has a good one. I haven't actually been in person. Friends have picked up to-go for me. :)
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:35 am

At the risk of coming off as a huge dork, I will volunteer that I have been to well over 1/2 the fish fries on that list and have pretty detailed notes regarding my experience for each. I always make a note about the quality of the fish, oysters (rolled or pan fried), sides of interest (hush puppies, stewed tomatoes, mac and cheese, etc), tartar sauce (homemade or packets) and the cake wheel. Also, some fish fries have different offerings depending on which Friday you go. For example, on the Friday before spring break, St. James used to sell homemade cream puffs for a buck. So good! So, if you have any questions I'd be happy to share info.

Everyone asks which fish sandwich in town is my favorite and, alas, it's no longer available. I really liked Baxter Station's fish sandwich but I can't get it anymore. If I was forced to pick a favorite sandwich that I could actually get in Louisville right now (not a Lenten special) I'd go with Moby Dick. I know it ain't fancy but I've never had a bad fish sandwich there, ever.
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Highlands

by Eve Lee » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:45 am

St. Francis of Assisi (1960 BR) not only has the expected fish and beer, but also crab cakes(!), shrimp and rolled oysters.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:14 am

Suburban Fish Fry on third st. is the best I've been too. We also do a fine fish fry with blue cheese slaw, on real Jewish Rye, and tartar. Sell out every Friday.