Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

So, just how much vegetarian...

by Steve H » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:21 pm

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: So, just how much vegetarian...

by Carla G » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:34 pm

I prefer vegetarian fare for my own personal health reasons. They also preclude roaches. Gross!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:02 pm

Some people don't understand how moral stances have to work in their lives. I love principled people, but when you can't see the nuance that exists between respecting all life, and endangering the human life of your customers, I worry that your principles are not well reasoned.

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."
-Henry Ford
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Some people don't understand how moral stances have to work in their lives. I love principled people, but when you can't see the nuance that exists between respecting all life, and endangering the human life of your customers, I worry that your principles are not well reasoned.

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."
-Henry Ford

Well said.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

SheilaKalajdžić

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:16 pm

by SheilaKalajdžić » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:30 pm

I can appreciate not wanting to kill another living creature. That said, if you're gonna own a restaurant, you're just gonna have to get over it. You gotta take care of making sure the kitchen is clean and safe, and you can't do that without killing roaches, rats, ants, gnats, and the like. Anyone who can't do that is in the wrong business.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:53 am

Not sure this is about vegetarianism as opposed to religion. I suspect the owner is an adherent of Jainism. The more hardcore, monastics & so forth, even use fine strainers to filter any tiny creatures that may be in water before they drink it.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:30 pm

My thinking is more toward the "laziness or poor prioritization with added ex post facto excuse making" end of the spectrum.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:Not sure this is about vegetarianism as opposed to religion. I suspect the owner is an adherent of Jainism. The more hardcore, monastics & so forth, even use fine strainers to filter any tiny creatures that may be in water before they drink it.

I wondered that too... but I would think about this like you would a Jehovah's Witness ER doc, or a Jainist Restaurateur. They better be willing to fit their faith into the perspective of the public service they have chosen to provide. No Jewish electrician has to work on the sabbath, but they better post their hours on their website. :D
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:24 pm

I hope I don't open a can of worms, but to me it's like vaccines . . . if you don't vaccinate your kids, fine (not really, but . . . ), but I applaud the school board who mandates students have vaccines for the common good. If you only want vegetarian food and won't kill roaches, fine, but again I applaud the board of health for protecting the common good.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Some people don't understand how moral stances have to work in their lives. I love principled people, but when you can't see the nuance that exists between respecting all life, and endangering the human life of your customers, I worry that your principles are not well reasoned.

Perfectly said.