Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Banh Mi Hero

no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Banh Mi Hero

by Alanna H » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:21 pm

I was craving some dumplings a little while ago, so drove down to get some from Banh Mi Hero and noticed that they were closed. Odd, since they're normally open until 9:00pm. I guess I'm out of the loop- just checked their FB page and saw this story from the CJ. I didn't see it previously posted here. And dammit, I still want some dumplings!

Lee Tran is closing Banh Mì Hero, his shop at 2245 Bardstown Road, where he serves Vietnamese sandwiches and fusion tacos, and plans to open a pan Asian noodle shop in the same location early in the new year.

"One of the reasons we're closing is we didn't have a lot of dinner business," Tran says. "There's not a big enough market in Louisville for banh mi … a lot of people don't know what it is." He'll close for a month or six weeks, preparing for the new shop, Tran says, and close the banh mi food truck as well.

Tran will call the noodle bar Yen Hapa, named in part for his mother. "Most people know my mom as Annie from Annie's Cafe, but Yen is her Vietnamese name. It means a swallow bird," he explains. "And hapa ... it's anyone of mixed ethnicity; most people in Hawaii use it for mixed Asians."

The new shop, which will serve lunch and dinner, will feature three sections on the menu: noodle soups, like the classic Vietnamese pho, noodle salads and stir-fried noodles. Tran will also keep a handful of the most popular sandwiches (in smaller sizes) and tacos from Banh Mi Hero.

"Probably half my dishes will be Vietnamese, but I'm going to add in other noodle dishes from Southeast Asia," Tran says, with dishes from Thailand, Cambodia and Singapore rounding out the offerings. "My mom has a Cambodian cook in her restaurant right now, so I'm learning from her."

He's also considering some Hong Kong style fare. "Most of the food I'm going to be cooking I grew up cooking," he says.

More information: (502) 456-2022.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

Re: Banh Mi Hero

by Doug Davis » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Yeah I stopped in for a Bahn Mi a few days before he closed. He is doing SE Asian noodle dishes and will keep one or two Mahn Mi's on the menu as well. Im looking forward to him re-opening.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:52 pm

I am about 98% sure that the truck is still up and running because I think I just saw it by Humana Waterfront (I think that is what it's called - the Main St/Witherspoon St location.) It's out there quite regularly with other food trucks.

In totally unrelated other news, I noticed today that Sol Aztecas on Main Street by Doc Crow's is now called something entirely different - a name that already escapes me. Helpful I know! :lol:
Still looks like a mexican restaurant, says serving latin flavors - hopefully it's better!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

by Scott Rudd » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:14 pm

I noticed the signage change as well today...MeGusta Latin Kitchen & Bar
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:56 pm

I went by Annie's today and tried to get them to make me something Cambodian from that Cambodian cook they've got back there, but they seemed mystified by my request. Only Vietnamese food is available, I guess. It would be neat if they'd sell a Cambodian dish or two.
User

Max S

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:08 pm

by Max S » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:04 pm

Anybody try Me Gusta's yet? Would be great to have a nice mexican place in town.
"Japanese chefs believe their souls go into their sushi knives. Would you put your soul in a dishwasher?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:14 pm

Max S wrote:Anybody try Me Gusta's yet? Would be great to have a nice mexican place in town.

My impression is that only the name has changed from its former incarnation as Sol Aztecas. However, this is not based on first-person testimony.
no avatar
User

erika.moreno

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:03 pm

by erika.moreno » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Heather L wrote:I am about 98% sure that the truck is still up and running because I think I just saw it by Humana Waterfront (I think that is what it's called - the Main St/Witherspoon St location.) It's out there quite regularly with other food trucks.

In totally unrelated other news, I noticed today that Sol Aztecas on Main Street by Doc Crow's is now called something entirely different - a name that already escapes me. Helpful I know! :lol:
Still looks like a mexican restaurant, says serving latin flavors - hopefully it's better!

Me Gusta means I like it!!!!! And it is a complete new concept with a sophisticated menu with Caribean and South American food.
I recommend you guys to come and try it...
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:06 pm

Alanna H wrote:
"One of the reasons we're closing is we didn't have a lot of dinner business," Tran says. "There's not a big enough market in Louisville for banh mi … a lot of people don't know what it is." He'll close for a month or six weeks, preparing for the new shop, Tran says, and close the banh mi food truck as well.
[/i]

I'm not entirely sure he has the pulse on it there. There definitely was no dinner business. I ate in there twice completely by myself, which is a little unnerving (no idea why). But it was also just that the food, presumably due to there not being a lot of business, wasn't all that great. I still loved the small cups, but the last time I had a sandwich there, it was apparent they'd not cycled through their ingredients very quickly. There are places, while not doing the same thing, that are doing something similar for better pricing with better taste.

It's also, to be fair, just a tough spot. I hope the next endeavor is successful, as it is so close to me I'd love to have a booming, good place there!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:02 pm

I ate at BMH several times and really enjoyed the sandwiches. They were a nice, hearty size.

Oh well. Back to Nam Nam Cafe for my banh mi fix, I guess.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I ate at BMH several times and really enjoyed the sandwiches. They were a nice, hearty size.

Oh well. Back to Nam Nam Cafe for my banh mi fix, I guess.

I went to BMH a few times and had a great sandwich each time. Tough spot..