Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Are you tired of hearing about Lynn's Paradise Cafe?

Yes! No more, please!
60%
Probably! I'm close to over it.
12%
Meh! Who cares?
7%
A little is okay. The neighborhood needs it.
12%
No! Bring on all the Lynn's you've got!
7%
Other (post comment)
2%

Total votes : 42
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

POLL: Are you tired of hearing about Lynn's?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:37 am

As a Facebook friend put it, "Am I the only Louisvillian sick of hearing about Lynn's Paradise Cafe two years after she shuttered the place because of threat of legal actions over tips and wage laws?"

Good question! I'm about over it myself, particularly when so many of the update reports contain no news.

So, how about you? Ready for a moratorium? Just curious. :lol:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: POLL: Are you tired of hearing about Lynn's?

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:46 am

I'm certainly over it and I think most people are but in reality the restaurant was good for the neighborhood and brought a lot of press coverage to Louisville! Bobby Flay filled a couple of shows there and several other shows good segments about the restaurant at various times. All this exposure is certainly good for Louisville and Louisville's dining scene. It was the place we ate at very often but it was a place that many friends asked about when they visited!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:08 pm

Like any good soap opera, it is fun to sometimes watch the insanity, but honestly, the only news I want to hear about Lynn Winter is that she has retired and become a recluse.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09 pm

I'd certainly keep the thread alive . . . those who aren't interested can just not open the thread, while those interested will keep on reading!
Andrew Mellman
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:11 pm

The only thing i want to hear is she has sold it with NO strings or committments to her. It was fine years ago, but got tired and overblown the last few years. We quit going, even to the new years PJ party that we used to love, because it got mediocre and we began to feel they wanted to sling the food on the table and get us out. Needing to turn tables is fine, but there are ways to do it without making the patrons feel rushed.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:27 am

It's kinda hard for me to get over the Lynn's situation when I can walk to my corner just about any day and see businesses dying...and that huge ugly empty tchotchke warehouse sitting smack in the middle of the block. All because some control freak refuses to let go of her property.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:31 am

I'm with Suzi on this one.....sell it, no strings and let new blood infuse into the site! It's been two years, and the bitch won't let go....sounds like she's got issues that can't be helped without serious medical assistance.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Yes, I'm tired of it. But this is not like some cold-blooded bean counter Cordish situation. Discounting things other people say about her and looking only at her communiques and an interview from Louisville Magazine shortly before the place closed, the lady seems to have real problems. The last news release from her basically says as much. You can see signs of physical as well as mental / emotional issues. I sympathize with the neighborhood; I live in this general area as well. But this is not a calculated business strategy to squeeze the last dime out. The problem for the neighborhood is she's got enough money to pay the upkeep whereas average people with these issues would have lost their jobs, been foreclosed on and had their businesses auctioned off by now. The effect on the neighborhood aside, I have sympathy for her as well as a broken person who, hopefully, is trying to get it together with help from medical professionals. Would anyone really want to trade life circumstances with her?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:Yes, I'm tired of it. But this is not like some cold-blooded bean counter Cordish situation. ... Would anyone really want to trade life circumstances with her?

Well said and gracious, Lonnie. You are a good person.

Frankly, when I posted the original question, I wasn't thinking of it as bashing Lynn but on the old media's (and some bloggers') penchant for whipping up an old story again because they don't have a new one.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:22 pm

Here's an interesting article from the Courier-Journal from the 28th. Lynn states that she reopening the restaurant herself! Lynn's Paradise Cafe owner says she may reopen. It's certainly an interesting possibility and a major change direction?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:08 am

I voted 'Meh!' Because I'm still in a wait-and-see mode.

When I was teaching at the school, I could see the comings and goings of all that street. Lots of people driving, nobody stopping. The Hardware store does fine. Liquor store as well. The boutiques and the smoke-shops, not so much- you can get that on Bardstown Rd...

Not once did I see anybody try to pull into that location, with its wonderful stantions at the entrance.

It blew my mind that I would close down shop and ALL of the lights would be on at this location. She obviously has the money to pay the electric bill.

So, 'MEH.' Find another way. It's a brilliant corridor, with so much to offer- who says it has to be a restaurant that's a keystone?

Nuts and Stuff- It's a brilliant location for a convenience deli. Some sandwiches and the sundries needed for daily life. Nothing more. It would serve the entire neighborhood and would do well there, I think.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:37 pm

Stephen D wrote:It's a brilliant location for a convenience deli. Some sandwiches and the sundries needed for daily life. Nothing more. It would serve the entire neighborhood and would do well there, I think.

Funny, my wife & I were talking recently about how we used to shop there when it was a grocery before Lynn's moved from Frankfort Avenue.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:52 pm

Mark R. wrote:Here's an interesting article from the Courier-Journal from the 28th. Lynn states that she reopening the restaurant herself! Lynn's Paradise Cafe owner says she may reopen. It's certainly an interesting possibility and a major change direction?

I wonder if there's some sort of statute of limitations on the offense LPC was accused of? If so, could they be waiting out that period, then making a triumphant return to save the 'hood?
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:37 pm

I wonder if there's some sort of statute of limitations on the offense LPC was accused of? If so, could they be waiting out that period, then making a triumphant return to save the 'hood?

Assuming LPC was in violation of KRS 337.065 (3) No employer shall require an employee to participate in a tip pool whereby the employee is required to remit to the pool any gratuity, or any portion thereof, for distribution among employees of the employer.

Then the applicable statute of limitations should be KRS 413.120 Actions to be brought within five years (2) An action upon a liability created by statute, when no other time is fixed by the statute creating the liability.

I am not an attorney.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Anybody with kids should know the Dr Seuss book "Marvin K Mooney Will You Please Go Now!" Just read that book and put in Lynn's name where ever it says Marvin K Mooney :D
Next