Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Marsha's Industry Standard: Okay or Not?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Industry Standard: Insider info for those who dine out

Industry Standard: Okay or Not?

By Marsha Lynch

Savvy restaurant patrons have heard of the practice of bringing your own bottle of wine to a restaurant and paying a "corkage" fee to have it poured and served for you and your guests. But some folks take things a hair too far in this area. Let's play a game about dining out. A game I like to call "Okay or Not?"

Scenario #1: A guy comes to lunch at a restaurant with two or three other people, but while his friends are ordering from the menu he proceeds to unpack his own lunch out of a bag that he's brought from home. Healthful stuff: raw vegetables and dip, etc. The server smiles and asks him if he's on a diet. "No, I'm on a budget," he says pleasantly. He orders water (which is refilled more than once by the server) and asks for a plate to eat his lunch on. He uses the silverware she provides. He is perfectly polite during the meal. The server is perfectly polite right back. He doesn't tip. Okay or Not?

Decision: Not Okay. He used up valuable real estate, the server's time, the dishwasher's time, and the chef's lemon budget. I'll cut him a sliver of slack for bringing along paying friends, but it doesn't make up for his poor restaurant manners. Packing a lunch? Please eat it at your desk or in a park or in your car or in the company break room. Do not bring it to a restaurant.

Scenario #2: A lady comes in to lunch alone. She orders a salad and tells the server she doesn't want any dressing. She pulls from her purse a plastic container with dressing she mixed up at home, and applies it to the salad. She pays and tips like anyone would when eating at a restaurant. Okay or Not?

Decision: That's actually fine! There is a teensy bit of a grey area where – if you should inadvertently give yourself the squirts because you left that dressing out on your counter at home for three days and in your purse for two days and then post on Yelp that the restaurant gave you food poisoning – things could go sideways. But otherwise it's completely okay, and thanks for saving us the $.39 worth of dressing we didn't serve you.

Scenario #3: You and your husband bring your adorable toddler to a restaurant to dine out. You also bring a McDonald's bag full of cooling Chicken McNuggets and a half-melted, half-consumed strawberry shake. Okay or Not?

Decision: This is a terrible sin. Most restaurants, except for the extremely high-end tasting menu type, will make a meal palatable to your child — such as butter noodles or a grilled cheese sandwich even if (pay close attention to this part!) there's no visible children's menu. We do it all the time. We're even smart enough to jam that kid's food to the front of the ticket rail and bring it to the table before your own food is even close to ready, because we know how cranky a hungry kid can be. Some of us even have kids of our own!

And if your little snowflake will eat nothing but dry Cheerios by the fistful from a Ziploc bag, by all means, have at it. But we expect you to crawl under the table and pick up every last Cheerio that he dropped on the floor before you also leave a huge tip. Because a Bissel carpet sweeper can only do so much, and we can't bring the Dyson out in the middle of service. But if you've trained your kids to eat nothing but Chicken McNuggets and Cheerios, consider making the sacrifice and get a sitter for the next few years when you want to dine out. Please and thank you.

Do: Feel free to bring your own garnish, if you must. A guy once dumped an entire individual-sized box of Apple Jacks on top of my chicken tortilla soup. It made me die a little inside, but hey, he paid for his soup. And ate it with relish (I mean gusto, not actual pickle relish).

Don't: Bring a birthday cake you bought elsewhere, shove it into the arms of the hostess and ask her to "have someone put it in the fridge", then later ask the kitchen to cut and plate it and put lit candles on it for your party. This is only cool if you've first called the restaurant, inquired about their birthday dessert options, and then begged permission to bring your own, while offering to pay what my fiancée has coined … a "caking" fee.

Marsha Lynch has worked at many Louisville independent restaurants including Limestone, Jack Fry's, Jarfi's, L&N Wine Bar and Bistro and Café Lou Lou.

Read it on LouisvilleHotBytes:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/indus ... d-okay-not

and in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/01/okay-not/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Marsha's Industry Standard: Okay or Not?

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Yet another great article Marsha! I always find your articles enlightening and agree with most of the points but in this one I agree with your opinion 100%! The guy who brought his own vegetables for lunch yet used silverware and dinnerware from the restaurant as well as having them provide water for him to drink should have definitely been charged a plating fee at the least! The salad dressing I can understand but it's certainly something we would do and the kids food while often seen is totally unacceptable.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:38 pm

I would throw #3 out of my restaurant. Not for the cheerios but for the McDonalds.

I agree with everything else Marsha wrote.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:01 am

What makes this great is because I know all those stories come from experience. We've all seen it. My personal favorite is when I was in culinary school I worked at a certain spaghetti restaurant downtown. A woman would bring in an unopened store-bought package of gluten free pasta, ask us to boil it for her then put our marinara on top. Paid for the full plate as if we'd used our own pasta. Now I'm all for going above and beyond to please a guest, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) isn't it against the health code to have the kitchen prepare food brought from outside. I know, all food is brought in from outside, it's a chain of custody issue. We have vendors who have suppliers etc. This woman smuggled in a bag of pasta from God-knows-where and asked us to cook it. At the time, and I still believe, it's not okay.
Alejandro Magallanez
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:41 am

The Birthday cake thing is galling. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that at a fine dining sit down restaurant (without a prior). What are you supposed to do? Throw the cake away? Turn away the party? It's a brutal spot to be put in.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:06 pm

RonnieD wrote:The Birthday cake thing is galling. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that at a fine dining sit down restaurant (without a prior). What are you supposed to do? Throw the cake away? Turn away the party? It's a brutal spot to be put in.

Nope, you just grin and bear it. It's so common, though, I just wanted to let people know it's rude to do it that way. If the restaurant can't provide a decorated cake, then they should be accommodating, but truly the guest should offer to pay for the plating/storing/serving.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm

I've done #2 myself when I was in a dieting mood. Not sure I agree with your #3; I'd probably be alright with that.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:19 pm

RonnieD wrote:The Birthday cake thing is galling. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that at a fine dining sit down restaurant (without a prior). What are you supposed to do? Throw the cake away? Turn away the party? It's a brutal spot to be put in.

Politely tell the guests there is a "caking" charge.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:38 am

You'd be surprised at how often there simply wasn't a free shelf in a walk-in to put that damn cake. It's an RTE, so it has to go up high, remember...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY