Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

8 Up - - a missed opportunity...for us (and for them)

by Willie Myers » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:48 pm

After hearing nothing but glowing reviews, I decided to give "8 Up" a try for a Saturday night dinner next month.
I waited until they had opened for the evening, then rang up and spoke with a very nice young woman who took copious details re: my self and my dinner guest. And after a couple moments of sharing requests and details, I thought I was confirmed for a 7:30p table for two on the date in question.
Wrong.....
Turns out that what I had been doing was giving the girl information that would be passed on to a manager who would - at some later date - phone or email me back to let me know if they could (or could not) accommodate us.
hmmmm....
c/mon, folks....
This is not the way that a quality restaurant operates.
I simply needed a "yes" or a "I'm really sorry that we cannot accommodate you that evening, but we certainly hope that you will consider us in the future." or words to that effect.
But bouncing me around with a promise of some future contact to let me know if I've qualified or not?
Perhaps my name was not on some privileged list....

In any event as I said in the subject, and opportunity missed...for both me and for 8 Up.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: 8 Up - - a missed opportunity...for us (and for them)

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:08 pm

We've eaten there and really enjoy the experience but like you I certainly wouldn't expect what you went through when trying to make reservations! I called in the afternoon when they were not busy spoke to young lady who took our reservations without a problem. I wonder if maybe the problem was that they were slammed when you called? Of course even that they have time to answer the phone and take information they should be certainly able to tell you if we get a reservation that for the time you desire.

I don't know if you read some of the posts here yesterday but both their executive chef in their general manager are in the process of leaving. I wonder if maybe that has to do with what you experienced?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: 8 Up - - a missed opportunity...for us (and for them)

by Willie Myers » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Mark, thanks very much for your post and I appreciate your comments.
Mark R. wrote: I called in the afternoon when they were not busy spoke to young lady who took our reservations without a problem.

That's the kind of experience I would have expected but - sadly - did not receive.

In any event,
Mark R. wrote:I don't know if you read some of the posts here yesterday but both their executive chef in their general manager are in the process of leaving. I wonder if maybe that has to do with what you experienced?
No, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to read that until now and - with Len leaving - it makes it all sort of academic, anyway...