Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

First Watch Now Open

no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

First Watch Now Open

by Terri Beam » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm

First Watch opened yesterday on Hurstbourne Parkway. My boyfriend got pretty excited when he saw it the other day and said he'd eaten at one in Tampa pretty frequently.. The menu looks promising. My BF is a big fan of quinoa anything, so seeing that on the menu got his attention.

Has anyone checked it out already, or is anyone willing to be the guinea pig?
no avatar
User

John S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: First Watch Now Open

by John S » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:55 pm

I went to a location earlier this month in Florida. The closest local place I could compare it to is Wild Eggs...but the food wasn't as good.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:38 am

The menu comes across as too "mother earth" for my tastes....when I have a hearty breakfast, I want to feel my arteries scream with thanks and pain at the same time :mrgreen:

Now, if that is your cup of tea, go for it. I applaud your ability to exercise your own tastes and that you have a new place to do it in, but please don't push it off on those of us who'd rather be more 'traditional'.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:41 am

Bill, you can see where that with my exact impression when we ate there in the thread: First Impression of First Watch. They certainly have too many unfamiliar renditions of dishes where most people are looking for something they know especially for breakfast.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:17 am

We needed to pick up a few items from ValuMarket out that way so we stopped in for breakfast today.

Bottom line is the food is fresh and good, the coffee's pretty robust and the service was stellar.

My sweetie ordered the Acapulco Express omelet with a side of greens in place of spuds and English muffin. She judged it good and sufficiently zippy. I had the Chickichanga, a breakfast burrito smothered with zippy sauce and stuffed with chicken, avocado, chorizo and chiles served with a side of sauteed tatties and fresh fruit. Tasted really good.

Yes, they do have healthier options, and are proud of the fact they don't have deep fryers or microwaves. That's fine by me as long as the food is good, and it is. Oh, and you can order their lunch items, mostly sandwiches and salads, for breakfast too.

We'll definitely put this place on our breakfast rotation, especially since they meet our open at 7 am criteria.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:11 pm

We went out to get a fresh rack of ribs from The Fresh Market today for doing up tomorrow for the Super Bowl. [Side Bar: best place for fresh ribs in town. Wheat Fed Pork. Sweet flavor.] So since we had not had lunch we went over to First Watch.

Suzi got the Avocado Toast with two eggs and was quite pleased. A full lunch really. Eddie got the stuffed full omelet with a side of bacon and was quite happy with it, altho the bacon came out pretty crisp and he likes his 'limp'. I got the traditional breakfast with BASTED EGGS. Years, it's been years since I have had those. Cooked done sunny side up eggs. Awesome. The turkey sausage was links and cooked DONE which I really appreciate. English muffins instead of toast, that came out buttered and with some strawberry jam that was excellent. I appreciate a place that is not lazy and butters toast or muffins.

They were busy at 1:15 & close at 2:30 but our wait was less than the 15 minutes they had indicated. We did however choose to eat at the "counter" which is just a long high table with 10 chairs that you can seat yourself at, much like the old Frisch's diners had. And that Wild Eggs have. Makes for nice conversation with others while you wait.

If you like the newer dishes as a turn on the breakfast menu then this is a good place for you. They have traditional breakfast items of course. We did not have any of the lunch items, but a friend had actually had lunch there today and said the Rueben and soup lunch combo was great and filling. They do any sandwich and soup or salad as a two-fer at I believe $7.99.

You do need to stop by and try it out yourself.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:27 pm

My 91-year-old MIL likes to go when we are up to visit in the Columbus, OH area. She's a lifelong healthy eating enthusiast and in far better shape than many people we know who could be her kids who, well, aren't healthy eating enthusiasts. She won't eat in regular breakfast spots. They'll never put Wild Eggs out of business but we welcome a breakfast place that has more than one or two options that are tasty as well as good for you.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:37 am

My parents, grandmother, and I went this morning around 9:30, and it was absolutely packed, but service, as mentioned above, was fast, helpful, and courteous! Very nice building interior- brightly lit and very clean (my dad, a homebuilder, was admiring the flooring). My dad got the chickichanga, my grandmother got the raisin French toast (I want to try the homemade sourdough ones next time we go!), and my mom and I split a Baconato (bacon, avocado, and tomato) omelet and a "stack" of 3 (actually served on three plate because of the variety and size) of carrot cake, banana granola, and cranberry nut pancakes. All of the food was scrumptious! Actually, my parents and I just went to Las Vegas a two weeks ago, and we ate at Egg Works. We agreed the portions at First Watch were much more reasonable (which was a good thing!) and actually maybe better overall. The carrot cake pancake had shredded carrots and a cinnamon crunch in the batter- delicious! The banana pancake featured warm bananas cooked in, and the granola even had cranberries in it- yum! The omelet was very fresh tasting- actually fresher than the one I had at Egg Works.

Definitely a repeat! I thought about trying the ginger juice, but the $4 is just a a bit much! Other items were much more reasonable. I don't think it will put Wild Eggs out of business simply because I think there is enough room for them both. I think IHOP has gone down in quality, so that certainly won't be a contender.

We did have an interesting conversation about the name First Watch. Normally, "first watch" in nautical terms refers to the first watch of the night, 8 pm-12 am. And, in Bible times, it meant 6-9 pm. The First Watch website states that it is a nautical term for "the very first shift of the day." I guess they are using the term loosely then- we've changed throughout history as to how we look at such things!
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:24 am

Having lived in Ohio, my social group has a lot of First Watch and Wild Eggs overlap. I have a sneaking suspicion that among them there will be a bias... those who had Wild Eggs first will prefer Wild Eggs and those who had First Watch first will prefer First Watch. :P Although, I have not been to the First Watch in Louisville so there could be some variance in quality.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:51 pm

Paul S wrote:Having lived in Ohio, my social group has a lot of First Watch and Wild Eggs overlap. I have a sneaking suspicion that among them there will be a bias... those who had Wild Eggs first will prefer Wild Eggs and those who had First Watch first will prefer First Watch. :P Although, I have not been to the First Watch in Louisville so there could be some variance in quality.

After our first visit I really don't think variance in quality is an issue. The quality of everything at First Watch was outstanding as it is at Wild Eggs. The big difference we saw is in the menu itself. Overall the menu at Wild Eggs contain many more "traditional" breakfast items many of which are true comfort foods. On the other hand the menu of First Watch contain many more innovative/healthy options which are very good but not quite what you expect for breakfast and they don't fit into the true comfort food category as much.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"