Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Escolar served at local sushi restaurant?

by Linda C » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Chime in experts. My daughter had a spicy tuna roll yesterday at a local Japanese restaurant. Today, at work, she developed severe cramps and explosive orange, waxy diarrhea. I remember reading how Escolar, or butterfish, walloo, white tuna, etc is often used at restaurants. Some countries have banned it. Some places put a warning on the menu. Do you think if they use it, they should tell you? Are they being duped by their supplier? I can't find an email for them, only a "blog" but this a popular restaurant on a Restaurant row.

http://www.thekitchn.com/use-caution-wh ... cola-66602
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Escolar served at local sushi restaurant?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Fascinating, albeit alarming, article, Linda. I hope we can get a firm answer to this, but "cheap, sustainable and no mercury" sure describes a product that the industry would want to embrace. Too bad about that waxy orange little gotcha. :P
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:39 pm

We serve Walu at Z's regularly, an 8 oz portion sashimi grade, with no complaints from our customers. The reason for the warning, a maximum 6 oz portion, is because of the fish's naturally high fat content. (I've seen the same result from eating too much Kobe beef) I have only ever seen this warning though on Atlantic walu. Ours are Pacific caught, flown 24 hour fresh direct from Hawaii. I would assume that this is because the cold waters of the Atlantic produce a fish with a higher fat content, the Pacific waters around Hawaii being warm, I'm no expert, but again, no complaints about our fish.
Alejandro Magallanez
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:13 pm

I was reading menus at various places, and several places serve it. Sapporo has some complaints about it from customers with the same reaction as my daughter. Hers was consumed at Osaka. I read from a couple experts that there are different types of fish and reactions. The cheaper, rough skinned fish produces the worst reactions. The smoother skinned variety rarely does. Think they are trying to save money? Also, it's one thing to order a filet, but putting it is sushi? I think people should know what type of fish they are eating. She eats sushi and the roll often and this was the first incident.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:45 am

wow, this is very useful information, thanks for the post and sorry that someone had to find out the hard way.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/ta ... 83174.html
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:50 pm

They should tell you, period.

That being said, I am also a fan of this fish. 'Butter' is a good word, because it eats like that. It flakes and kinda melts in your mouth.

I've never had a problem with any intestinal issues. I also don't have a peanut allergy.

Nonetheless- they should tell you so that you can make your own decision.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:49 pm

If I remember, Hiko-a-Mon has an asterisk next to the item on the menu, with a warning at the bottom.
Andrew Mellman