Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Krog-zilla opens in Lex, includes restaurant food

by Joel F » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Kroger 'unlike any other' opens on Euclid Avenue

In a first for Kroger, the deli department will include food carts offering selections from local restaurants Athenian Grill and La Petite Creperie

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/01/21/3653 ... opens.html
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Krog-zilla opens in Lex, includes restaurant food

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 pm

I'm not familiar with the Lexington area but I'm assuming this is in a downtown situation and that's the reason it's 3 stories with rooftop parking? Kind of sounds like what Metro government is trying to talk Walmart into building in the West End. The total size probably isn't that much bigger if any and some of the huge Kroger's in the Louisville area just laid out differently and they've added the food carts. It will be interested to see how they do.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

by Jason H » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:12 pm

I am originally from Ohio and Kroger has multiple type stores. A "basic" Krogers is called signature and very few have this title on the sign. There is also the marketplace and Kroger Fresh Fare. The latter being my favorite because they offer more specialty and international foods. Not all Krogers are the same except most in Louisville.

With that being said I would try a Kroger Fresh Fare if one were available. I know, I like to save money.
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:27 am

Mark R. wrote:I'm not familiar with the Lexington area but I'm assuming this is in a downtown situation and that's the reason it's 3 stories with rooftop parking? Kind of sounds like what Metro government is trying to talk Walmart into building in the West End. The total size probably isn't that much bigger if any and some of the huge Kroger's in the Louisville area just laid out differently and they've added the food carts. It will be interested to see how they do.

The area this store is in and the west end of Louisville are very far apart. This is right on the campus of UK. Parking in that area is at a premium. It's the "Chevy chase" neighborhood. More like the highlands/Cherokee than old Louisville, downtown or the west end.

It's a gold mine, a captive student audience (thanks to accepting the plus account) and a very well to do non student base.

Some of the most expensive real estate in Lexington is within a mile or two of this store.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Eric Hall wrote:]
The area this store is in and the west end of Louisville are very far apart.

I was referring to the areas being similar at all, I was referring to the design of the store being an urban design instead of a suburban design!

no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Gotcha. Definitely a newer urban setup as opposed to the giant parking lot in front of a giant box setup that the walmarts of the world use.

Kroger is throwing around giant sums of money for all these super size renovations. Im guessing the whole foods/trader joes of the world have put some pressure on them to innovate.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Eric Hall wrote:Kroger is throwing around giant sums of money for all these super size renovations. Im guessing the whole foods/trader joes of the world have put some pressure on them to innovate.

Maybe they've taken a look at the Wegmans model of grocery stores and are trying to duplicate it! They still have a long way to go but it sounds like this latest one is stiffly heading in that direction. I grew up around Wegmans and upstate New York and every time I visit I'm still truly impressed by their business model. Combining that with the fact they are always ranked #1 or #2 nationally for how they treat employees they certainly are doing something right