Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Chad Coulter

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:43 pm

LouVino looking for next location!

by Chad Coulter » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Hey guys,

Chad from LouVino here. We are looking to expand and meet the demand for our product and concept. We have several prospects in mind but are looking closely at two particular spots. One of which is the Country Squire Florist on Shelbyville in Middletown and the other is the corner lot at the Landis Lakes Retail Center (where Wild Eggs is located) out by Lake Forest. Would just love everyone's opinion on which spot could be the "best" and your rationale ;) CHEERS!

And, for those of you who haven't heard (no pun intended) our noise level is far far far better than when we opened due to the installation of our noise panels a few months ago. Just wanted to throw that in there ;)

Chad
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: LouVino looking for next location!

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:56 pm

Chad Coulter wrote:... our noise level is far far far better than when we opened due to the installation of our noise panels a few months ago. Just wanted to throw that in there ;)

Chad

User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Chad, it pleases me no end that, you are looking to expand so soon after opening....now, both of the locations are aces in my book because they are in "my neck of the woods", HOWEVER, the Country Squire location could prove a bit more fun because it's in a stand alone local, and it's within walking distance of my house :mrgreen: . Not too sure about the parking situation as I have never ventured behind the building.

Just my .02 worth........
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Ditto what Bill said.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:01 pm

While I certainly agree with what Bill said about the standalone building being nice I think the Landis Lakes area is more interesting for your next restaurant. I say this even though we are much closer to the old florist location like Bill is. That area out by Lake Forest is severely hurting for nice restaurants of any kind and yours would certainly be a nice addition out that way. I'm guessing you're looking at the end where Deb Hall used to have Gourmet for Everyone. Location wise that location isn't bad for parking but really lacks street front visibility which could be quite detrimental for a restaurant, something it really needs to be taken into consideration.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Michael S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 pm

by Michael S » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 am

Chad - Owned the Shiraz at the Landis location in the space occupied by Wild Eggs. It was a struggle for many reasons and I always felt the lack of visibility from the major thoroughfares was a huge obstacle. Never want to be located behind things. Debs old location would provide direct visibility from US 60 which would help. Also, the Gene Snyder seemed to act as an impediment to the dense population base in Middletown. The folks east of 275 will come into Middletown out of necessity and habit however, it is a hard pull to get the west siders out to Landis. Finally, the medium income 1 mile radius from Landis is 146k if I remember correctly. If you are at the Kroger center it's drops to 58K. My final concern about Middletown in general is the abundance of new choices getting ready to hit the area. I can speak highly of the Faulkner guys if they still own Landis Lakes. Shiraz was the wrong concept for that location and they were very reasonable to deal with when exiting the center. Of course, it helped that Wild Eggs wanted my spot. Suggest you drive by Landis around 5:30-6:30 any night and sit there for 30-45 minutes. Perhaps it has changed from 5 years ago but, then again, maybe not. Best wishes on your new venture.
Culinary delight is in the palate of the indulger.
Burning Bush Grille
Mediterranean Cafe
http://www.burningbushgrille.com
13206 W Hwy 42
Prospect, KY. 40059
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:37 am

Have you looked at the Hurstborne location? There are already a few restaurants making it a dining destination plus the parking and visibility are great. The Lucky market is another great pull. I worry about Middletown in that it is an early night kinda town. For Coals we wanted a good lunch crowd, high visibility and parking. Landis Lake has great parking but was too far from Middletown, Blankenbaker, Hurstborne areas and had zero visibility. We live right by there and the place is dark at night. Things are changing and I would be thrilled to have more restaurant options in our neck of the woods but just be careful.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:56 am

What about a restaurant spot closer to 264 and Brownsboro? Like the old Austins local? I work out this way and the families are crying for a replacement.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:05 am

Carla G wrote:What about a restaurant spot closer to 264 and Brownsboro? Like the old Austins local? I work out this way and the families are crying for a replacement.

I've heard there are other plans in the works for Austin's property that are outside the foodservice industry...
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:17 pm

John Greenup wrote:
Carla G wrote:What about a restaurant spot closer to 264 and Brownsboro? Like the old Austins local? I work out this way and the families are crying for a replacement.

I've heard there are other plans in the works for Austin's property that are outside the foodservice industry...

That's correct, Goodwill industries bought the building and have plans for it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Carole C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 15, 2009 7:00 am

by Carole C » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:55 pm

I second the motion to look in the Brownsboro Rd. area (because it is near me!) The Austin's property is not available but the fact remains that its closure leaves a void in the area. Louvino might have a little different clientele, but I think there is a shortage of good dining options in that vicinity until you get to Prospect. Re: the Landis Lakes location, you should definitely talk to Deb Hall.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:04 pm

Chad- I sent you a PM. Happy to offer my perspective if you'd like.
Deb
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:04 pm

My advice? Dont expand so soon. You've been open less than a full six months.
As a new restaurant in a foodie town in a prime location of course you are flush with customers and cash at the moment. Will you still be so flush in 6 more months when the newness has worn off?
I'd wait a bit longer to see what your sustainability is going to be.

At most Id look at expanding into the still empty space next door to you.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:19 pm

AP Crafters is still sitting empty
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:57 pm

JustinHammond wrote:AP Crafters is still sitting empty

Same shopping center as Napa River Grill ... not that LouVino and Napa are clones, but might that be a little bit of a lack-of-culinary-diversity issue?

My concern, in addition to the good point raised above about "bloom where you're planted first," is that sophisticated urban-style dining rooms have generally not thrived in the 'burbs. Check in with Seviche and even Limestone, where (as I recall) Jim had to do a lot of fine-tuning to satisfy a different demographic when he initially tried to open Oakroom-on-Hurstbourne.
Next