Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: LouVino looking for next location!

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:AP Crafters is still sitting empty

Same shopping center as Napa River Grill ... not that LouVino and Napa are clones, but might that be a little bit of a lack-of-culinary-diversity issue?

My concern, in addition to the good point raised above about "bloom where you're planted first," is that sophisticated urban-style dining rooms have generally not thrived in the 'burbs. Check in with Seviche and even Limestone, where (as I recall) Jim had to do a lot of fine-tuning to satisfy a different demographic when he initially tried to open Oakroom-on-Hurstbourne.

I guess I don't know what a urban style dining room is, but Hiko and Napa seem to be doing fine in the Westport Village, as is Mojito GuacaMole, and Z's a few miles away. I've been to both LouVino and Napa and find nothing in common other than they both are "wine"restaurants. I'll take LouVino's wine program over Napa's any day.

Edit: plus LouVino would be one mile from the house vs. the current 8 miles
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:08 pm

JustinHammond wrote:I guess I don't know what a urban style dining room is

I'm not sure that it can be defined. :lol:

I do agree with you about the quality of Napa and Hiko, too; and don't forget Corbett's, although i suspect that its proximity to the hospital and intentional outreach to the pharmaceutical industry for lunches and meetings plays some part in making the numbers work. that, and Dean.

i'm not really kidding, though, in my belief that a certain kind of vibe doesn't seem to play well in the suburbs. Seviche didn't last, and I saw the writing on the wall when I sat surrounded by a lunch crowd that understood it as a "Mexican" restaurant and came mostl for the guacamole. I know Jim had to do a lot of reinventing at Limestone, too, not least discovering that people wanted dina-and-done before 8 p.m. And not too much "weird stuff." And eventually, as we've seen, his numbers didn't work.

I'm just saying be careful. Take your time. And keeping closer in to the city and in busy areas would probably be wise.

[/quote]Edit: plus LouVino would be one mile from the house vs. the current 8 miles[/quote]
no avatar
User

Don Wagaman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

by Don Wagaman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:29 pm

My vote goes to Landis Lakes. Lake Forest is not well served by good restaurants and the proximity would make it a winner for residents. Parking might be a BIG issue in downtown Middletown...
gastrobubba

I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage. - Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:34 am

As a bit of a followup, Alan & I went and brunched on Sunday at LouVino (fab as always), while there had a chance to chat a bit with Chad, and he is leaning toward Landis....I did suggest him looking at the Hurstbourne Corridor, which made his eyes twinkle a bit....so time will tell.

BTW, the place was jammin', and we were there latish (about 2pm)....
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
Previous