Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Francisco Elbl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:34 pm

Palermo Viejo final day Feb 21, 2015

by Francisco Elbl » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:18 pm

I wanted to thank the Louisville community for the opportunity to share my family's food for the last 14 years. There are certain reasons why I am closing, but the most important is my family has sacrificed so I can live my dream. I've come to a point where I feel they have sacrificed enough. I want to thank our guests, and our regulars, who have since become our friends. I would also like to thank my employees who have become my family.

When asked about what I will do next, I am planning to look to lease the property. And I'm looking into bottling my father's famous Chimmi-churri recipe.

I am so proud to live in such a wonderful and accepting city as Louisville.

Francisco Elbl
Proud owner of
Palermo Viejo
502 456 6461
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Palermo Viejo final day Feb 21, 2015

by RonnieD » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Thank you for many, many amazing meals. You will be missed.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:50 pm

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! We just had my birthday dinner there two weeks ago :cry:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Your work was certainly appreciated and you will definitely be missed by the Louisville dining community!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:17 pm

:cry:

Very sad day for me. Good luck with your future endeavors!
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:05 pm

One of my faves. Best wishes.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:49 pm

NOOOOOO!!!

Vaya con dios, Fede and the Elbl family. You will be so missed! <sobbing>
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:04 pm

I can't believe this! This is horrible news (although I certainly understand where you're coming from and wish you well in the future). I can't get a steak OR chimichurri sauce as delicious anywhere else in the city. As your literal next-door neighbor, I've enjoyed many a fabulous meal there but even more so have come to appreciate your staff and employees who are always so sweet and friendly to me and my son, whether we see them out front on the clock or out back off the clock. You have a great team working there. We will definitely stop in before you close.
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Good Luck with your new venture. You will be missed!
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Blake N

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:12 am

by Blake N » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:00 pm

So many great memories! We live in Lexington, and Palermo Viejo, along with the 2nd Mayan Gypsy location, where the first two restaurants that convinced us (back around 1999) that it's possible to have really great restaurants in Kentucky. Along with Seviche, El Mundo, Mayan Gypsy/Cafe, and Havana Rumba, Palermo Veijo was a major pillar that completed Louisville's superb selection of Latin restaurants. Gonna miss La Parrillada (sweetbreads and short ribs especially) and the heavenly flan, which is not only the best flan I've ever had, but also my favorite dessert of any kind. And that great sangria. Sad face!!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:51 am

This may be a dumb question, but I just made reservations for a final Palermo meal on the 21st. What are the chances of them running out of food or certain items, since I imagine they won't be stocking up as it gets closer to D-day?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:19 pm

I have just retured from my final dinner at Palermo Viejo with four dear friends who are like "family" to me. Luckily we didn't break into tears per our waitress request, but the food almost brought tears to our eyes. We began with an order for two Allamand Malbecs (one my favorite wines - In my opinion, their selection of Malbecs is beyond compare in L'ville.) We ordered our three favorite appetizers to share: cojida, rabas (calaari) and provelta (Argentinian grilled cheese). Heaven! (The later is not to be confused with Velveta.) For my entree I ordered my version of the La Parrillada For, which is two housemade chorizo and two sweetbreads. More heaven! I will so miss this dish. Another ordered Parrillada de Bifes; I have no idea what the others ordered, but we were all so pleased with our meals and so full that we passed on desserts. Those who know me, know that I am am not normally a dessert person, bending this rule only for the Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta at Volare and the Flan at Palermo Viejo, which means we were mor than "full." On this Tuesday evening, they were turning away people left and right who came without reservations. If any reservation times are still available, you need to make them PRONTO!

Although I understand why you are closing the restaurant, Francisco, I will miss your wonderful meals!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:37 am

For 14 years this has been on my very short list of places to eat in Louisville. I know I've dined there more than 100 times. Provoleta, a bottle of malbec, parillada for two with salad and fries. It rarely gets better than that. You will be sorely missed and difficult to replace.