Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Southern Fried Chicken Dinner

User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

Southern Fried Chicken Dinner

by Tony D. » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:47 pm

I have had a classic fried chicken dinner on my mind for weeks, but every time I search for 'Louisville's best fried chicken' I get five hits for gastropub chicken and waffles, or pecan-crusted boneless breast. I haven't had a go to place since we lost Chick Inn, so the wife and I decided to do a repeat at Dish on Market. Several months ago we used a Groupon for a dinner for two, which was simply two of their three-piece meals from the regular menu. Cooked to order, delivered too hot to the table, southern green beans, mashed potatoes and corn bread. Very good, but we normally get a small booth in the bar area and I feel a slight disconnect between the price and the ambiance. Certainly some restaurant in this town is frying chicken along with their other fare. Any hidden faves?
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

Re: Southern Fried Chicken Dinner

by Doug A » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 pm

Don't know how classic it is, but our go to is:

http://www.equusrestaurant.com/equus_menu.html

FRIED CHICKEN 16
whipped potatoes, braised kale, cornbread, gravy

Used to be a special on Thursdays, but I don't see specials on their web site any longer.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Goose Creek Diner has a very good fried chicken! They also have some good countrysides to go with it. They haven't all-you-can-eat on Sunday evening but at least the last time we were there they were doing it with the chicken being self-serve from a heated dish up front and that wasn't so great. Before they used to bring it to your table to order for the all-you-can-eat and that was great! It just loses something sitting around so you are better off ordering off the menu.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:25 pm

I second Jack's/Equus. The fried chicken is amazing!
Deb
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:44 am

Cottage Inn on Eastern Parkway.

Pan Fried To Order.... expect it to take 15-20 minutes

None finer. 'nuff said.

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:05 am

Claudia Sanders. I'm usually hurting when I leave there!
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:44 pm

My husband really enjoyed the fried chicken at Sway in the Hyatt. It seems pricey at $24 but, as I recall, he got 3-4 pieces of chicken and a mountain of mashed potatoes. We've gone a few times and the dining room is beautiful, the service is very personable, and the food is delicious. I guess no one thinks to go to a hotel restaurant that isn't the Oakroom/English Grill.

They also try to source food locally so the chicken may even be from around here, if that's a consideration.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:49 pm

Not being a troll, but if I had my way my last meal would be the three-thigh $4.99 manager's special at the Popeye's on Preston. Great chicken and just the right element of danger. Red beans, a biscuit and a few jalapeno peppers on the side. Dip the biscuit in the red beans and take a bite. Follow that with a bite of chicken and a bite of jalapeno. To me, there's nothing better.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:29 pm

The Chicken House in Sellersburg IN is the best around!

They cook to order - and it can take 40 minutes - so regulars tend to call for reservations first and order when calling (their menu is on-line, just google the restaurant name and city). We never did that, and just ate a leisurely salad and eventually the food came out. Just be prepared to wait if you don't order ahead!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

PatrickWhelan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Shelby Park

by PatrickWhelan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:10 am

This guy does amazing Fried Chicken and sides. When I crave it this is where I go.

http://www.dbsbistro.com/
Patrick Whelan
Logan Street Market
Safai Coffee & Tea
900 E. Kentucky St.
Louisville, KY 40204
502-693-3865
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:59 am

PatrickWhelan wrote:This guy does amazing Fried Chicken and sides. When I crave it this is where I go.

http://www.dbsbistro.com/

Thanks! That's right around the corner from me. I'll have to try it out.
no avatar
User

Rob S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:42 am

by Rob S » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:21 pm

After Chick Inn closed, John E's became my go-to place. Sadly, now it's gone. I'd give my eye teeth for those recipes! Checks Cafe still has good fried chicken. I will check DB's Bistro out for sure! Can't wait to see what this Barrel House restaurant will bring to the table. I second that Sway's and Cottage Cafe are both pretty good. Cottage's is more that papery thin crust that reminds me of the old Banquet Table smorgasbord...and I mean that as a compliment.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Once again, I have to plug for Food 4 the Soul. For $10 you get two pieces (your choice) fried to order with two sides. I can't recommend their sweet potato casserole and greens & cabbage enough. The chicken is fantastic--moist, tender, steaming hot with a lightly seasoned, crunchy crust and not a touch of grease. Go for the chicken, return for the fried catfish.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:28 am

I'll second the vote on the fried chicken at Goose Creek Diner - always a golden, crunchy skin, with tender, juicy meat - delicious! However, my favorite fried chicken in this general area takes me outside of Louisville to "Our Best Restaurant" in Smithfield (Henry County)...a real country restaurant, featuring the best fried chicken I've enjoyed around here in a long time. Our Best is what "Cracker Barrel" strives to be, but will probably never attain.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Dasha Barbours Southern Bistro, which is located next to derby City Antique Mall on Bradford Ln, got a very nice write-up from The Courier Journal. I personally haven't eaten there, but the author of the review said order enough to take home with you. Here is an excerpt of her review:

"My advice: Order enough that you can have cold chicken tomorrow. It's extraordinary stuff. On my first visit, my mouth dropped when I saw a plate of the stuff being delivered to a table on the far side of the room. I could see a heaping mound of chicken fried to deep, walnut brown, and even from across the room, I could pick up the aroma."
BShep