Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Restaurants we miss the most....

by TP Lowe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:53 am

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Restaurants we miss the most....

by Carla G » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:52 am

Nice article and I can agree with most all of it. Except I will not be missing the Toy Tiger.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:05 am

It's an odd mix ... I do miss a lot of those places, although mashing up Casa, Ferd and Mamma Grisanti into a single item is kind of a hack, since Ferd's was not part of the same operation, and Mamma's was a conscious effort to spin up a chain.

Is StyleBlueprint something new? Locally owned or yet another corporate clickbaiter stamping out "local" editions? The '10s seem to be emerging as the era of clickbait-for-profit, he ranted, waving his cane.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

It's a pretty good list overall, unfortunately we lost quite a few good restaurants in the Louisville area unfortunately have been replaced with other great ones! I'm surprised that Shariott's and Garrett's weren't on the list in some fashion. And I deftly have to ask why Toy Tiger made the list!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Is StyleBlueprint something new? Locally owned or yet another corporate clickbaiter stamping out "local" editions? The '10s seem to be emerging as the era of clickbait-for-profit, he ranted, waving his cane.

Not locally owned, Robin, but pretty good at highlighting local women and local products/events. (I found it when a local woman being interviewed named me as a mentor and someone sent me a link. I typically don't lurk on women-focused websites!)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:15 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Not locally owned, Robin, but pretty good at highlighting local women and local products/events. (I found it when a local woman being interviewed named me as a mentor and someone sent me a link. I typically don't lurk on women-focused websites!)

I can't complain about that, then! My heartburn has more to do with a business model that seems to be everywhere these days: Corporate entities that open "local" sites operated on a clickbait model, usually hiring a local free-lancer at very low pay to grind out the kind of quality you'd expect for what they pay. This is only one of dozens, from Movoto, Impulcity and Thrillist to the unlamented Eater, and I grumble because I see it applying Gresham's Law to social media. <shaking cane again>
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:21 pm

732 Social
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:... and I grumble because I see it applying Gresham's Law to social media. <shaking cane again>
Couldn't agree more. The click-bait think makes me crazy. I won't even go to sites like Business Insider because I know I'll never see anything resembling a complete article on one page. (I'm right behind you with the cane)
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:44 pm

I'm a little surprised Zephyr Cove didn't make the list (or even the honorable mention list).
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:36 am

On the Italian theme...

I'm glad Lentini's is on there. I really miss the food and atmosphere. I always felt like there was just a little chance of seeing someone get whacked in here, Godfather-style.

I'm surprised Melillo's didn't make the list.

I also miss Ray Parella's, which was similar to Lentini's.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:39 am

This site seems to go above and beyond the business model talked about here. We will be in next issue, and they have a local photographer and boots on the ground, so to speak. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Bill
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:56 am

Dietrich's was cool. I liked the way they utilized the old theatre, and their open kitchen design was kind of unusual at the time. My mom took me there for lunch after my college graduation ceremony. :D
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:53 am

Having worked for several years at Grisanti's (corporate), I miss their impact on the local dining scene...expanding a little on Robin's comments (above) at one point, Mamma Grisanti's became the basis for a chain that was started when the company was owned by Imasco (which at one time also owned Hardee's), and was marketed in numerous cities under the name "Grisanti's Casual Italian Restaurant", with the same menu as Mamma's. I believe there remain two "Grisanti's" Italian restaurants in operation - in Lincoln and Omaha, Nebraska - but to my knowledge they are no longer owned or operated by Michael Grisanti.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn