Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Washington Post: Got a problem? Let the manager help

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:25 am

A long story, incorporates a lot of things we've talked about here over the years. Click and read, then tell us what you think: Mostly on target? Where does it miss?

The Washington Post wrote:Have a problem in a restaurant? Speak up promptly, and let a manager help.

And they want to hear it now, when they can still help — not later, when they’re reading it on Yelp.

Full story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Washington Post: Got a problem? Let the manager help

by RonnieD » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Yes, yes, one thousand times yes. Please, never, ever feel like you cannot address a problem immediately at the restaurant. You are always welcome to follow-up with a manager or owner later, after the visit, but there is no way for us to resolve an issue after your experience is over.

If nothing else, give the team a chance to fix it, and if they cannot or do not, then notify the owner/manager.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 pm

I think Atul has it right.

We have to take care of our guests, first and foremost. We can't give away the house for a hiccup, though.

A great manager can always smooth things over. Please ask! Fixing an overcooked steak becomes the highest priority amongst Chefs. If you're at a chain restaurant- well, those people do what they do- and you know this.

To answer Robin's question: the one that I see 'the most?' It's the question of the 20 minute cocktail...

First, everybody hits and is sat at 7:25. The #1 priority for the server is greetings, so they have to treat their entire station as one table. They go to the computer and ring in- well, 10 people. All of them at once (so, times 6 = the number of servers on the floor)

Most of these drinks are not difficult to execute- Blanton's rocks, Gin and Tonics, A pull from the Cruvinet. Some are a little fancy (The Brujo, Belle Epoque, The Margarita.) Still a breeze, though.

Personally, I check every busy shift and even backed-up, we go no slower than 5 minutes on execution.

It's just that people want that drink in their hands- now. You earned it- with a week of hard work! We owe that to you as best we can.

I respect that and understand, but it's not fair that you should be bought a drink when you see the tenders killing themselves and there's that obvious crush of humanity. Nor should you feel that the Restaurant is being disrespectful to your needs.

Be patient- it's totally worth it. We haven't forgotten you, we're breaking our bones taking care of everybody!
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:43 pm

While Ronnie and Steve both reviewed the article from the restaurant management side I'm on the other side of the coin and also think it's a great article! There's no sense in eating a meal that you don't like or have problems with. Obviously your first step should be to tell your waiter/waitress about the problem and if they don't get it resolved asked to speak to the manager. That something that everybody should do the matter what the situation, in almost every case the situation will be resolved on the spot.

As the one manager said in the article, they don't like yelp or the other social media sites which allow customers to complain possibly anonymously. They said they still tried to contact the posters but sometimes that's not possible. The problem doesn't get resolved and the restaurant gets a black eye in these cases which doesn't help anybody.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Mark R. wrote:As the one manager said in the article, they don't like yelp or the other social media sites which allow customers to complain possibly anonymously. They said they still tried to contact the posters but sometimes that's not possible. The problem doesn't get resolved and the restaurant gets a black eye in these cases which doesn't help anybody.

The funniest thing- I was googling the Denny's on Dutchman's Lane to make a carryout order of Hash Browns the other night. It dumped me to yelp and I read the reviews...

It was completely different than my experience. The people were helpful, the food was tasty. If I'd have listened to the yelp people- well, I wouldn't have had some hash-browns and some eggs-over-easy in my belly. I wouldn't have taken that to-go menu and written down their phone number so that I may get me some breakfast food on my way home from work.

:wink: