Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

For Goodness Crepes (in need of rescue already?)

by Jason H » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:01 am

I was so stoked about eating at For Goodness Crepes with my girlfriend this past weekend, but oh my was it ever a mess. We stepped inside and waited behind 4 people who were in line waiting to order.

It took about 5 minutes for us to get up to the counter to place our order. Once at the counter a lady came up to us and proceeded to take our order. After asking if she could help us, she immediately turned away and began stocking a few items that were running low. There was no "Excuse me," or "I will be right back." No, she just turned away. When she came back she did not apologize either.

The menu has a great selection of crepes, but nothing else (except chips) and I mean nothing else. I think of crepes as more of a breakfast item. I can't believe they have only crepes. What? No potatoes, no toast, no fruit, or granola? Crepes are not always seen as a meal by themselves.

Of course we ordered our crepes and one bag of chips (which we did not want). Unfortunately the crepes are not big enough for myself. They are all around $8-$9 dollars which I feel is a little high, but I know there are a lot of costs that go into a restaurant. No big deal, but at least offer me some other foods.

So we sat down and began observing because you can see everything form where you sit.

1. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare one crepe. Also they did not fire or call all orders together so groups and couples orders were not coming out together. There were 3 ladies making the crepes and 2 of them were taking orders.

2.Sometimes they would bring the crepes out and other times they would call out names for people to come and get them.

3. The water button on the soda machine was broken so you had to get water from a pitcher which no employee kept full.

4. Nobody was going around to clean off tables. I had to wipe my own off.

5. It took 20 minutes for my crepe to come out. It seemed under cooked.

6. They use a little black and decker 10 cup coffee pot for coffee. Not sufficient for a restaurant. They have 6 crepe makers. So why does it take so long for crepes to come out? They had some little counter top fryer, but not sure what purpose that served.

7. While sitting and observing and waiting and waiting for my food, I counted about 7 people working. The space is an old house with only 7 - 8 tables. So why are there dirty tables, why does it take 20 minutes to make crepes when you have 6 machines to prepare them with. How about a non-crepe maker take the orders? I was severely puzzled.

8. Not a big deal, but decor is just terrible.

Okay, that was my list of concerns. As for the food it was average. Like I said my crepe had sausage, cheese, and gravy on it. I felt it was under cooked. My girlfriend has one with chicken, bacon, and ranch which she too felt was under cooked.

I think I figured out the problem! Two sweet ladies who like to make crepes at home and family members love them decided they wanted to share their wonderful food with others. Good crepe makers at home do not make for good restaurant owners.

You need to know how to run a business. A restaurant is a business. This is a disorganized and very disappointing experience. This place has been in the works for a while now so I figured they had some business training, but it does not seem that way.

This place was ran like my aunt or grandmothers house. One skillet and everybody has to eat at different times because the skillet is too small to make enough food for large groups. It was kind of loud with all the employees working. I don't want that type of service when dining out. Keep it local is a saying I believe in, but even local businesses have to follow most rules of traditional restaurant businesses.

I think it's time to call restaurant impossible.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: For Goodness Crepes (in need of rescue already?)

by Mark R. » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:13 pm

Sorry to hear that the restaurant wasn't wonderful. We were really hoping that it would be great because it would be a very different type of dining experience for the Louisville market. Hopefully, they will get their act together pretty soon. I'm not sure that Restaurant Impossible would help but....

Thanks for your review and for taking one for the team!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

Re: For Goodness Crepes (in need of rescue already?)

by Adam C » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:36 pm

That location has been a mystery forever aka empty/diserted and I found it odd it became a restaurant (and a little disappointed too as we have quite a few of those already). Are they open for lunch? I may go give it a whirl.