Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Good lunch spots near the airport (SDF)?

by Gary Guss » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:26 am

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:36 am

Robin Garr wrote:If Vietnam Kitchen is within reach, then you ought to put Annie Cafe on Woodlawn on your list, too. It's been around for years, and sometimes I think it might be a little better than VK.

If Thuy Van Café is still around, it's an easy trek for you at 5600 National Turnpike, and might be even a little more "ethnic" than VK.

Thuy Van and Annie Cafe are very nice spots, but neither are in the same league as VK in terms of quality. Louisville is blessed to have one of the best Vietnamese restaurants in the country in VK. I also don't know how any Vietnamese restaurant can be "more authentic" than VK. Grab a big bowl of J1 next time you are there if you want something "authentic". :D
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:22 am

Ron Johnson wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I I also don't know how any Vietnamese restaurant can be "more authentic" than VK. Grab a big bowl of J1 next time you are there if you want something "authentic". :D

With Vietnamese food, there are two kinds of "authentic."

Remember, Vietnam was a French colony for a century or so (technically 1862-1954). This was more than enough time to have a significant historical influence on food, cooking, and restaurants! In Vietnam, I found a broad spectrum from 'city' cooking, with French spicing and preparation of local ingredients, to 'country' cooking, with more Asian spicing and preparation of equally local ingredients. In Louisville, on that spectrum of 'country' versus 'city', VK is more toward the 'country' cooking end, while Basa is more to the 'city' cooking end. Both are authentic!

Where the problems come in is when some 'country' restaurants also have some 'city' versions of recipes (or vice versa) - they are likely what the chefs (or owners) grew up with, a combination of the two food cultures. This doesn't make them less authentic, just showing a combination of food and the realities of living in a smaller country with two vibrant food cultures!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:52 am

Ron Johnson wrote: Louisville is blessed to have one of the best Vietnamese restaurants in the country in VK. I also don't know how any Vietnamese restaurant can be "more authentic" than VK.

Have you been to VK lately, Ron? Take a close look at the menu when you do. They've added quite a few Chinese-American dishes and cut back on Vietnamese. General Tso's chicken? They've even got Pad Thai on the menu now. I don't know if ownership has changed or what - I see a lot of the same old Vietnamese folks out there - but something is going on.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:58 pm

"Thuy Van and Annie Cafe are very nice spots, but neither are in the same league as VK in terms of quality."

Respectfully disagree. I like VK a lot, but CTV has a spicier bun bo hue with herbs I don't recognize (burdock? Shredded banana flower?) and a crispier banh xeo as well. Your mileage may vary, of course.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Iggy C wrote:"Thuy Van and Annie Cafe are very nice spots, but neither are in the same league as VK in terms of quality."

Respectfully disagree. I like VK a lot, but CTV has a spicier bun bo hue with herbs I don't recognize (burdock? Shredded banana flower?) and a crispier banh xeo as well. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I agree, I'll take Annie's over VK any day. Namely, the noodles in the pho is better and it's served with a plate of fresh herbs and sprouts and their Summer (rice paper) rolls are the best I've eaten.

Then again, Felix's vs. Acme, Mary Anne vs. Ginger, Mighty Mouse vs Superman......to each their own.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:06 pm

Yes, I saw the page of pseudo Chinese dishes, but the classics still rock at VK. I just notice little details that make their Vietnamese dishes stand out a little more than Annie's or Thuy Van. As far as my last visit a few weeks ago, the same folks are running VK.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:26 am

Annie Cafe is one of my city-wide favorites.

I've been less impressed with VK (especially considering the rave reviews it seems to garner).
Previous