Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Smoking Ban

no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Smoking Ban

by Charles W. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:31 pm

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Smoking Ban

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:36 pm

Charles W. wrote:Out at least for now

Injunction! Now! It's too good to kill.
no avatar
User

Jennie Mulhall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 am

by Jennie Mulhall » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:03 pm

Nooooooooooooooo!
I've actually enjoyed going to bars again.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

As idealisticly opposed to it as I am, I have to admit that I appreciate it more after having visited an estabilshment in a neighboring town where there is smoking every where.

I do still think there should be limited places where people who like to smoke can go... but I do think they should be very limited.
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:12 pm

Injunction within 48 hours. New ban without the CD exemption within days to 2 weeks. I love the ban and the judge's ruling escapes any semblance of logic. He just "knew" that the ban could not have passed without the CD exemption. Judicial clairvoyance, I guess.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:15 pm

Jon K wrote:Injunction within 48 hours. New ban without the CD exemption within days to 2 weeks. I love the ban and the judge's ruling escapes any semblance of logic. He just "knew" that the ban could not have passed without the CD exemption. Judicial clairvoyance, I guess.

My recollection is that Judge Ryan is not one of the more brightly shining lights of the local judiciary ... can anyone either substantiate or correct me on this?

Meanwhile, I notice this in the CJ bulletin ...

<i>Cres Bride, owner of two taverns — R Place Pub and Joe’s Old As Dirt — told his customers to light up as soon as he found out about the judge’s decision.

“We’re already smoking,” Bride said Friday morning. “There is no smoking ban, as it stands right now.”</i>

I'll remember this attitude the next time I'm thinking about local eateries that I want to support with my business.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:19 pm

I can hardly blame them for enjoying their brief repreive. And let's face it, it IS going to be brief. They know it won't last, we know it won't last. It's legal for now, I don't see the point in holding it against them.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:23 pm

Just because somthing is really pleasant doesn't mean it isn't unconstitutional.

As much talk as there is on this site about supporting the underdog, I'm surprised more people weren't pissed about the CD exception to begin with - it was clearly driven by dollars.
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:32 pm

Jon K wrote:Injunction within 48 hours. New ban without the CD exemption within days to 2 weeks. I love the ban and the judge's ruling escapes any semblance of logic. He just "knew" that the ban could not have passed without the CD exemption. Judicial clairvoyance, I guess.

Yea! Like maybe he had some semblance of understanding equal protection, the constitution, and seemingly unimportant things like that!!!
no avatar
User

James Wise

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:11 am

Louisville KY

puff puff give

by James Wise » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:32 pm

They need to take a serious look at other smoking bans around the country before they write the new law. The one size fits all policy is not working out for the small mom and pop bars. In Florida you can only smoke in what is called a "free standing bar" which is a bar that does not have a kitchen. Also in some states you can smoke in places after a certian time of night. Why does our law have to be so inflexable?
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Council: Re-pass w/o the exemption, NOW!

by Steve Magruder » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:33 pm

I just sent a quick note to my Metro Council member asking her to "Please promptly re-pass smoking ban without the Churchill Downs exemption before New Year's Eve, and make it take effect immediately."

I ask everyone else in the Louisville community to do the same.

Go here to find the e-mail address for your council member.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:38 pm

Beth K. wrote:Just because somthing is really pleasant doesn't mean it isn't unconstitutional.

As much talk as there is on this site about supporting the underdog, I'm surprised more people weren't pissed about the CD exception to begin with - it was clearly driven by dollars.

Beth, absolutely no question that the Churchill Downs exception was wrong-headed, stupid and possibly corrupt.

But they had already cleaned it up.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:45 pm

I was really commenting more on the judicial comments made. It is the role of the court to make judicial findings. There is always an avenue for those issues to be preserved and properly appealed. Whether or not CD changed their own policies re: smoking doesn't change the language in the ordinance. The unconstitutionality was on the face of the ban, not in the way in which it was implemented.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:47 pm

Just for the record though - I personally love the ban. I'm sympathetic to smokers, but I still selfishly love it!

In fact, most of the smokers I know are grateful for it too. (At least during the first couple of cocktails!)
no avatar
User

Colin H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 pm

Crescent Hill

by Colin H » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:54 pm

Looks like I'm going back to wearing dirty clothes out to bars again and leaving in a half hour after I have a raging headache and am grumpy.

I've never understood why this country can't figure out ventilation systems. You can smoke anywhere in Germany and you will never walk out of a place reeking of smoke.
Next