Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bourbon's Bistro

no avatar
User

Colin H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 pm

Crescent Hill

Bourbon's Bistro

by Colin H » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:19 am

Has anybody else seen Bourbon's new C health rating? Anybody know how they got such a low rating?

It might be a little hard to see it now since they have a menu board covering it up completely...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bourbon's Bistro

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:06 am

Colin H wrote:Has anybody else seen Bourbon's new C health rating? Anybody know how they got such a low rating?

It might be a little hard to see it now since they have a menu board covering it up completely...

Without actually putting out a call, remember that the system is very funny. This has been discussed here fairly often before: A C rating means that an inspector came in and some one thing went very wrong, but it's most often something technicall evil but bureaucratic: Some idiot forgot and left a bottle of Lysol (or Windex!) stored with food, or the dishwasher needed a part and couldn't get up to temperature, or some other significant but correctible thing went wrong.

When this happens - even if it can be corrected immediately - the C goes up and stays for about a week until they come back and re-inspect.

You've just got to use judgement in evaluating these things. If you see a hole in the wall place and it looks filthy and there's a C on the door, I'd steer well clear. But when a familiar spot suddenly sports a C, I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

Also, even though it's a little embarrassing, bear in mind that you have a right to ask management what it's about, and they'll generally be delighted to have a chance to explain it. Or if not "delighted," at least willing. ;)
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:09 am

What's even goofier if that an establishment that receives a "C" can be reinspected in a week and have the grade changed to an "A" if everything has been corrected. A place that gets a "B" is stuck with it hanging on the front door for a full year. I've often wondered if any restauranteurs have been tempted to sabotage their way into a "C" if they knew they were going to get a "B".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:24 am

Clay Cundiff wrote:What's even goofier if that an establishment that receives a "C" can be reinspected in a week and have the grade changed to an "A" if everything has been corrected. A place that gets a "B" is stuck with it hanging on the front door for a full year. I've often wondered if any restauranteurs have been tempted to sabotage their way into a "C" if they knew they were going to get a "B".

Six months, I believe, but absolutely, some restaurateurs have been quite outspoken about this, and I've heard more than one owner or chef say on the record that if he saw a B coming he would commit an instant C-worthy violation just to forestall that.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:04 pm

Hello, I work at Bourbons. The critical violation was a drain leak on a sink we don't really even use at the bar. It has since been fixed. We hope that they come and update our rating today.
no avatar
User

Colin H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Colin H » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:46 pm

Jeremy J wrote:Hello, I work at Bourbons. The critical violation was a drain leak on a sink we don't really even use at the bar. It has since been fixed. We hope that they come and update our rating today.

If it's something as little as that, then why does it seem like that menu board is rather intently covering up the rating? It doesn't seem like the trouble you could get into for doing that would outweigh letting people see a C in your window for a few days.
no avatar
User

Colin H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

Re: Bourbon's Bistro

by Colin H » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote: If you see a hole in the wall place and it looks filthy and there's a C on the door, I'd steer well clear.

That never stopped me from going into lemongrass while they had one. I call it ethnic differences in the kitchen. ;)
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:50 pm

Colin H wrote:
Jeremy J wrote:Hello, I work at Bourbons. The critical violation was a drain leak on a sink we don't really even use at the bar. It has since been fixed. We hope that they come and update our rating today.

If it's something as little as that, then why does it seem like that menu board is rather intently covering up the rating? It doesn't seem like the trouble you could get into for doing that would outweigh letting people see a C in your window for a few days.

I don't know anything about that...must've been someone elses call
no avatar
User

Colin H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Colin H » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:29 pm

Jeremy J wrote:
I don't know anything about that...must've been someone elses call

well you might want to mention to one of the owners that it's a really bad idea, if that's what they were doing.

I drove by once two days ago, saw the C, and the menu board was in front of it later that night on my way back. Menu board was there yesterday as well. Granted it was raining yesterday, but a small overhang wouldn't exactly keep the board dry.
no avatar
User

Perry Parrent

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:13 pm

Bardstown, KY

by Perry Parrent » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:29 pm

Their "A" rating is back up.