Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ review: So, what cost Asiatique a half-star?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:14 am

The CJ seems to love Asiatique (and rightly so). So, why only 3 1/2 stars? Can you find the flaw in the review?

http://goo.gl/XVtTsD
no avatar
User

Marybeth B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 pm

East End

Re: CJ review: So, what cost Asiatique a half-star?

by Marybeth B » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:56 pm

Having something as pedestrian as sweet potato fries? Because four stars would seem too fan-girl?

This was one of the oddest restaurant reviews I've ever read. Things like the "baby-like" comment -

The baby back ribs ($9.50) my son Alex chose verged on being too sweet for me, but Looi's glaze of hoisin, honey and wine sidled to the edge of too sweet without throwing the ribs over it. There was nothing baby-like about the combination.

- I get that it's supposed to be casual and conversational but it just comes off as awkward to me.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:19 am

I'll say that Asiatique is one of my favorite under-the-radar restaurants. It doesn't usually get the same amount of press as some other places... so perhaps that makes it harder for a food critic to give it a perfect score?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:13 am

Paul S wrote:I'll say that Asiatique is one of my favorite under-the-radar restaurants. It doesn't usually get the same amount of press as some other places... so perhaps that makes it harder for a food critic to give it a perfect score?

I can't speak for the CJ's food critic, although I would think a critic who brings a background as restaurant PR agent to the pulpit would be more inclined to rate favorably, not less.

I'll say two things from the standpoint of this critic (me), though:

* A good critic should lead, not follow. Discovering a great place and telling the world is awesome. Sticking to the established wisdom - if it's incorrect - is weak.

* The CJ's four-star system is granular. Four stars doesn't mean "perfect," it means "top-tier." Translated to the 100-point scale, it's a grade in the 90s, an "A." But I think all of our transcripts would look pretty puny if you had to score 100 to make an A grade. :lol:
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:29 am

Robin Garr wrote:* A good critic should lead, not follow. Discovering a great place and telling the world is awesome. Sticking to the established wisdom - if it's incorrect - is weak.

* The CJ's four-star system is granular. Four stars doesn't mean "perfect," it means "top-tier." Translated to the 100-point scale, it's a grade in the 90s, an "A." But I think all of our transcripts would look pretty puny if you had to score 100 to make an A grade. :lol:

Agreed. And by perfect I meant the maximum four-star score (not that the restaurant was perfect). :lol:

Your breakdown of their rating system makes it further perplexing as I think Asiatique is a place that would be fairly easy to consider "top-tier." At the very least, given that it was such a glowing review, the reader should be given the rationale for a 1/2 star deduction.