Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Are you ready for White Castle's Veggie Slider? :D

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:46 am

Straight from the corporate offices:

White Castle Unveils Veggie Slider
Tuesday, December 30, 2014

From the home of The Original Slider®, White Castle introduces its latest taste sensation with the Veggie Slider. Following rave reviews during testing in New York and New Jersey, Veggie Sliders hit restaurants today for a limited run and will be available for only 99 cents each.

“We are pleased to continue the tradition of offering customers what they crave – the highest quality food, served hot and tasty,” said Jamie Richardson, White Castle vice president. “The Veggie Sliders offer Cravers an incredible new taste experience that’s different from any other sandwich on our menu.”

The Veggie Slider is a tasty Dr. Praeger’s veggie burger – chock full of vegetables like carrots, zucchini, peas, spinach, broccoli and more – lightly seasoned, then grilled to perfection and placed on the signature Slider bun. Customers will have their choice of three tasty sauces: Honey Mustard, Ranch or Sweet Thai.

Playing a critical role in the innovation of the menu is White Castle’s test kitchen that continues to create customer driven, full-flavored food offerings to attract new customers and keep current Cravers coming back for more.

“We are committed to asking good questions, listening to our customers and keeping up with changing tastes by developing new menu items that keep our guests craving and give them more options to feed the whole family,” said Richardson.

The Veggie Sliders will be served at all of White Castle’s nearly 400 locations and will be available for a limited time only.
http://www.whitecastle.com/about/compan ... gie-slider
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Are you ready for White Castle's Veggie Slider? :D

by Carla G » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:58 am

Sure, I'll try one. For several reasons...
Yes, WC is a chain BUT (as I was frequently reminded by my parents) WC help feed thousands during the first big depression and countless more during the most recent one. They also have high standards of cleanliness and are one of the better fast food chains as far as employee pay goes. And the final reason is sometimes I am out with a carful of kids and have no time to dine in at a locally owned. And I don't want meat.
So, count me as one that will be willing to try them and, frankly, I don't mind saying so. I will let others pass on their culinary standards.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:15 am

Contrary to media reports, I'm told that WC Lounge will launch veggie sliders TOMORROW. New Year's hangover treat?
no avatar
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:25 am

Amen Carla! We visit our Indiana location occasionally and always enjoy that the employees are having fun together. They always come to the drive-through window with a smile and laughter in the back ground! :D
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:22 pm

Carla G wrote:Sure, I'll try one. For several reasons...
Yes, WC is a chain BUT (as I was frequently reminded by my parents) WC help feed thousands during the first big depression and countless more during the most recent one. They also have high standards of cleanliness and are one of the better fast food chains as far as employee pay goes. And the final reason is sometimes I am out with a carful of kids and have no time to dine in At a locally owned. And I don't want meat.
So, count me as one that will be willing to try them and, frankly, I don't mind saying so. I will let others pass on their culinary standards.

I certainly agree with everything you said, especially standards of cleanliness. My problem isn't fact that they are a chain, it's the fact that their food is terrible "In My Opinion". I enjoy almost every kind of food there is but I just can't stand their sliders! It seems like they are either a place you love or hate with very little middle ground.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:19 am

Had I not read their website, I would never have realized that a have another name. "CRAVER"
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:35 am

Yeah, I tried them yesterday too, with the Thai and honey mustard, and concur in your findings. The patty is a good veggie burger ... don't mistake it for a meat burger, just take it for what it is, and it's okay. Leave off the sauce. Smear on the dusseldorf mustard. Next time I'll ask 'em to include a couple of pickles.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 am

Mark R. wrote:
Carla G wrote: It seems like they are either a place you love or hate with very little middle ground.

I agree - I put it into the same category as pizza and BBQ . . . you like what you grew up with! In pizza, you have a love/hate relationship with thick crust v thin, Cleveland doesn't believe in pizza without peperoni while in Chicago sausage is king, etc. BBQ differs in different areas of the country, which is partly why there is no large national BBQ chain that has made it (regional, yes, but don't know of a national). You either grew up with and love sliders, or they're disgusting to you.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:42 am

Robin Garr wrote:Yeah, I tried them yesterday too, with the Thai and honey mustard, and concur in your findings. The patty is a good veggie burger ... don't mistake it for a meat burger, just take it for what it is, and it's okay. Leave off the sauce. Smear on the dusseldorf mustard. Next time I'll ask 'em to include a couple of pickles.

My thoughts were very similar after my maiden voyage---scrap the sauces, ask for pickles, and slap some ketchup and mustard on it.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

AshleyJohnson

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:50 pm

by AshleyJohnson » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:51 pm

They are actually pretty good . LOL
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:35 am

I had some the other night and I agree with what's already been said. Pretty good for what it is. Mine were crispy with obvious chunks of corn, celery and carrots. And not greasy like WCs frequently are. Did not use any sauces but yeah, brown mustard would have been good. For a buck a pop it's a good meatless snack that will hold you over until you can get your work done and be onto something else.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:38 am

Just as an added note I noticed while at WC every time I referred to a hamburger as a "hamburger" I was corrected . They insisted on calling them "White Castles".
So... Marketing or truth in advertising? :lol: