Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Goodbye Thai Taste/Hello Great Wall

by RonnieD » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Looks like the Exodus from the Dirty Kroger center is complete. A month or so ago, Dixie Dry Cleaners moved into the old, ill-fated spot previous held by the beloved and beleaguered I <HEART> Sushi & Teriyaki and most recently occupied by the nearly invisible Southern Cookin' restaurant. Now Great Wall has left the building and has moved to the Thai Taste spot in the shopping center with Subway and Little Caesars.

Great Wall is our go-to for Chinese Take-out in the 'hood, so having it just down the hill from home is all the better.

However, I was not aware that Thai Taste was going. Did they move or are they done?

And in a related story: What's with the flight from the Dirty Kroger Center? Is Kroger going to buy up the rest of the space and expand, or are conditions there so bad that any opportunity to relocate is immediately taken?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Goodbye Thai Taste/Hello Great Wall

by Mark R. » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:23 pm

Kroger certainly has been expanding most of the local stores so you may be right in that being the reason. Haven't heard anything specific about that store but it certainly sounds logical.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:39 pm

I had heard, from a friend whose daughter is a manager of the Dirty Kroger, that they were waiting on those businesses' leases to expire and would be expanding to fill that space.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:54 pm

RonnieD wrote:I was not aware that Thai Taste was going. Did they move or are they done?

No inside info, but I suspect they're done. They were great when the original Thai family ran the place, but they sold out a couple of years ago, and it just hadn't been the same. :cry:

And in a related story: What's with the flight from the Dirty Kroger Center? Is Kroger going to buy up the rest of the space and expand, or are conditions there so bad that any opportunity to relocate is immediately taken?

No clue, but it's always doing a huge business, as far as I can tell. I'd say expansion is likely, given that most of the other Kroger stores have also been growing.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:59 pm

I wouldn't be suprised if they just gut the two spaces, join them, and make a wine shop. But expansion of the grocery section might happen, too.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: Goodbye Thai Taste

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:27 am

Really a shame about Thai Taste. It was run by the nephew of Mai of Mai's Thai. He took it over from his Mom, Mai's sister. Mai was cooking on some Sundays. We were frequent customers and the place was never busy. The food was good but never outstanding.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Dirty Kroger to get a clean-up ...

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:51 pm

The CJ's neighborhood staff catches us up on this activity ...

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne ... /21454367/
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:01 pm

All sounds good to me. We shop there for things like canned goods and paper products. We get most of of our produce from Paul's and most pasta/cheese/etc. from Lotsa Pasta, with some Whole Foods and Trader Joe's mixed in. We don't eat meat so I can't speak to Kroger's meat department.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:13 pm

Mike D wrote:All sounds good to me. We shop there for things like canned goods and paper products. We get most of of our produce from Paul's and most pasta/cheese/etc. from Lotsa Pasta, with some Whole Foods and Trader Joe's mixed in. We don't eat meat so I can't speak to Kroger's meat department.

You pretty much just described our strategy, Mike! In fairness, it appears that Kroger has been responding to changing times by bringing in a lot of its relatively natural "Simple Truth" house brand, which is generally worthy, and a significant element of organic fruit and veggies.

Dirty Kroger is closest to us at home, so we'll make quick pickups there, but we're frequently in the immediate neighborhood of both Woodlawn Park/St Matthews and Westport Plaza Kroger, so convenience is definitely a factor.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Dirty Kroger to get a clean-up ...

by RonnieD » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The CJ's neighborhood staff catches us up on this activity ...

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne ... /21454367/

Since I broke the story, you'd think I'd get a nod in there somewhere....
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Dirty Kroger is closest to us at home, so we'll make quick pickups there, but we're frequently in the immediate neighborhood of both Woodlawn Park/St Matthews and Westport Plaza Kroger, so convenience is definitely a factor.

Robin, please use the appropriate colloquial appellations, not the geographic references, otherwise, I have no idea which Kroger you are talking about. I think that first one is the Elder Kroger and the second is the Affluent Kroger, but I'm just not sure. We have rules about this sort of thing you know. :lol:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Dirty Kroger to get a clean-up ...

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:31 pm

RonnieD wrote:Since I broke the story, you'd think I'd get a nod in there somewhere....