Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Aviation (the cocktail)

User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Aviation (the cocktail)

by Jay M. » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:43 am

This is a classic pre-Prohibtion cocktail with gin as the base spirit. I get blank stares when I request one. Any thoughts on well-stocked bars and knowledgeable bartenders in town that might be able to make one?
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Re: Aviation (the cocktail)

by Robin F. » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:48 am

I could be wrong, but I think Stephen Dennision made me an Aviation once. He's now at Bistro 1860 and doing a fine job.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Meat used to do one for like $8, which was a crazy bargain. Rye does a good one. I would bet that Meta will do one if you ask.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Bistro 1860
211 Clover
Decca
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Just a guess, but isn't St Charles Exchange into retro cocktails?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:41 pm

I've never stumped Joy Perrine (sp?) at Equus/Jack's.
Andrew Mellman
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:44 am

Not too many places carry creme de violet .
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Carla G wrote:Not too many places carry creme de violet .

You're right, Carla. I've found some places have the other somewhat obscure ingredient, maraschino liqueur (Luxardo), but no place I've tried has Crème de Violette. In the world of liqueurs it's relatively inexpensive.

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions; I will try them all. Jack's/Equus could not do it. Joy Perrine was not there, but they don't have either of the mentioned products.

Last night we went to the Seelbach thinking an old school place, originating from the same era as the cocktail, might oblige. I was encouraged when I saw Luxardo on the back bar, but I got the same blank stare and question "What's in it?" that I'm used to getting when I order. I got something else. To the Seelbach's credit the bartender looked up the recipe online and made a miniature version sans CdV for me to taste. I admire his curiosity and interest in customer service.

As an aside, the Seelbach's lobby level bar is closed for renovation. Apparently, they are totally gutting it and building a new bar area. They have the bar in the Rathskeller (basement) open in the interim.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Well, if you are interested, Westport Wine and Spirits close to Wild Eggs carries a good CDV. Or drop me a PM and I will share half of my bottle with you. I have more than enough for my needs.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:27 pm

It's my favorite gin cocktail! I make a mean one, although I am not a bartender nor do I pretend to be one. I started making them after reading the recipe on a card that came with my bottle of creme de violette. I just bought a new jar of Tillen Farms Washington cherries - no dyes and none of that gross other stuff in maraschinos. I'm a purist.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Carla G wrote:Well, if you are interested, Westport Wine and Spirits close to Wild Eggs carries a good CDV. Or drop me a PM and I will share half of my bottle with you. I have more than enough for my needs.

Thanks for the offer, Carla. That's where I got mine, so now we both have more than we need! I saw that Gemelli in Chenoweth Square has it, too.

Antonia L wrote:It's my favorite gin cocktail! I make a mean one, although I am not a bartender nor do I pretend to be one. I started making them after reading the recipe on a card that came with my bottle of creme de violette. I just bought a new jar of Tillen Farms Washington cherries - no dyes and none of that gross other stuff in maraschinos. I'm a purist.

I'm glad others know of the cocktail and enjoy it. Where did you get the cherries, Antonia? Luxardo has cherries soaked in their liqueur that are really good, but I've not seen them locally.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Jay M. wrote:I'm glad others know of the cocktail and enjoy it. Where did you get the cherries, Antonia? Luxardo has cherries soaked in their liqueur that are really good, but I've not seen them locally.

I had found them once before at World Market. For awhile, they were selling various Tillen Farms products, but I haven't seen them there lately. I had been fresh out for awhile until a recent trip to Jungle Jim's. I was stoked to see them there. I wonder if they stock them at some place like Liquor Barn? Even if they don't have that particular brand, I'd imagine they have other, non-crap-filled options.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:14 pm

If you can't find the cherries locally, Amazon has them: Luxardo Cherries Not sure how that price compares to other places but at least it's a source.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Just a FYI for all the creme de violet fans, Bistro 1860 had a creme de violet ice on the menu NYE. I didn't try it, but the bourbon/sour cherry ice cream I had was fantastic.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

ZackEstes

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:14 am

by ZackEstes » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:27 am

I love Aviations. Great cocktails. I've never had an Aviation at Silver Dollar, but I have had other cocktails there that had CDV in it. Thats a start atleast.