Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Orlando Grimany

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Louisville, KY

Cuban returns to Frankfort Ave! - New Mgmt & Owners

by Orlando Grimany » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi everyone, so like the topic read, myself and others are working on bringing a Cuban restaurant back to Frankfort Ave. If you're thinking "I hope it's not that god forsaken Cubana place again!" I can assure you it's not. It's a completely different concept, with completely different people -- owners, managers, chef, staff, etc.

I am not here to advertise, just wanting to get your advice and input. It will be located where the old Cuban restaurant was, and where the most recent Mexican restaurant Riviera Maya was. That location as I understand it has been a revolving door of failed concepts, so we'd love to get your advice on what you all think it would take to make this place work. We've heard better lighting, and getting rid of the blue awnings. We're in the early stages of the whole process so any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Cuban returns to Frankfort Ave! - New Mgmt & Owners

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Orlando, best wishes on this venture! As a resident of the general neighborhood, I'd love to see a good Cuban restaurant nearby.

A couple of thoughts on the current location: I've heard that its construction and kitchen setup are "difficult," and might not be the best suited for efficient restaurant use. Do you know Chef Allan Rosenberg, now at Cena? He was the chef of the short-lived Danielle's there several years ago, and might be able to give you an opinion on that.

I've also heard - purely second-hand - that "landlord issues" may have been problematic in the past. Not sure how you'd check that out, although again, private talks with former tenants might be helpful.

Finally, and I don't mean this negatively at all: With Havana Rumba in the city, a very high bar has been set for Cuban cuisine. I'm not saying that you couldn't be great, but - as we saw with Cubana as well as the short-lived place out on Hurstbourne - a new Cuban restaurant is going to be compared with the competition, and if it doesn't measure up, it won't last. And it will be judged on food first and service second. Blue awnings? I doubt that matters much in the final analysis.

None of the above is meant to be negative or demeaning. I hope you succeed, and wish you well!
no avatar
User

Orlando Grimany

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Orlando Grimany » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Thank you for your insights, Robin! We're confident about the food ;-)
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:59 pm

How about a stronger seafood emphasis?

I really like Cuban seafood and really no one has that covered in town. And this is important - - no tilapia, swai, or other farm raised bottom feeders!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Steve H wrote:How about a stronger seafood emphasis?

I really like Cuban seafood and really no one has that covered in town. And this is important - - no tilapia, swai, or other farm raised bottom feeders!

Total agreement, especially about the tilapia and swai. YUCK!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:45 pm

I am so over, tilapia, swai, amd basa.
Carla G wrote:
Steve H wrote:How about a stronger seafood emphasis?

Total agreement, especially about the tilapia and swai. YUCK!
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Orlando Grimany

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Orlando Grimany » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:34 pm

I'll pass along the message to the chef about the seafood. We've got a couple of new seafood dishes that I'm sure you'll like! This is great, keep it coming, guys :-)

Thanks!
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:09 am

In that location, it is about the awnings, so to speak...

You have to tell people that you're there. You're going to have a problem with this, as the city doesn't like frontage advertisements on Frankfort Ave. May I recommend a lot of lights in the window? It works like a charm.

Don't sell alcohol, yet.

Delivery. Anything Jimmy Johns does you can do, just a tad slower. As a guest, some beans and rice and Cuban pork is worth the wait, whereas a predictable sandwich is not.

Your price-point should be competitive. They charge $7 a meal. You should charge $7 a meal. All the time. Except for the exceptional stuff.

Minimize your menu- don't make it a chore to figure out what to order (keep all that brilliant foodie stuff to the side somehow)

Most people are going to go for the Cuban Sandwich- do that well. No, make it the best in the city. If you get that right, you are paying for your kid's college.

PS. Good fries that carry well on delivery. If business goes well, you are not going to be able to make pomme frittes in a QSR. Get a good quality Sysco product (sorry guys, it's true) and then add a Cubano flavor to it. I always loved Adobo seasoning blend, back in the day...
no avatar
User

Orlando Grimany

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Orlando Grimany » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:41 am

That's a lot of great advice, Stephen! Thanks. Why not sell alcohol yet? And when you say lights on the window do you mean outside or inside? Like around the perimeter of the glass? Can you explain?
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:58 am

The lights, whether inside or outside will draw attention without counting toward your metro signage allotment.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Good advice on the lights folks- those signage restrictions are really tough. Along the same lines- I suggest something memorable in the logo, and potentially using some color/ design in the windows that would be seen from outside. I don't believe that counts as signage as long as there are no words.

Stephen- I echo the why no alcohol? My first thought was to have a strong bar with a few interesting cocktails- I don't feel the others in town do this. But you clearly have expertise.

I agree with the seafood concept. Include some great vegetarian options ( most Cuban places overlook this as an after thought), and a few healthier options. Need excellent black beans and rice.

Does the place have parking in the back? - if so highlight this. Some people avoid Frankfort Avenue due to parking issues.

I'd think about clean lines with a lot of color for the interior ( don't know if there exterior restrictions but the same would apply) a la GuacaMole. Something festive and old Havana. Not just the same building with a new menu.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Yep, a sign can be a sign without words. Common misperception. Many years ago Pepper Bait and Tackle was cited for the Big Fish as a sign. I was on the Board who heard that case and we were torn, as I recall.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:48 pm

Deb, Orlando with regards to the alcohol I was painting a picture in my head of what would bring the most revenue. That bar area is kind of small. Do you make more money selling booze or with additional seating? You're probably right- some nice cocktails would accentuate the guest experience and get the most bang for the buck, so to speak.

With that in mind- Cuba is known for rum. Why not have a nice little selection of exceptional rums? Bourbon and now Tequila are dominating the landscape right now. That would be a great niche. Cuba is also tied to Hemmingway and his Daquiri. Give him a nod and make some nice handcrafted Daquiris. They pair brilliantly with the food.

Deb, your idea of Old Havana is exactly what I had in mind. I'm not sure of the cost, but wouldn't a faux-stucco façade on the side of the building facing the city would draw attention to the building? So the location would look like one of those houses in downtown Havana?

I like the idea of some kind of archetypical logo. Something hip. What about the front of a '56 Chevy?

Just tossing around some ideas!

:D

PS: Something that popped into my head just now is the subject of FOH uniforms. You have to sell your style. I love the idea of a nice vest on your Bartender/Key Employee person. I also enjoy the idea of a Fedora on you Orlando- if you're going to be the managing partner. Something that quickly identifies you as the owner to the guest. Andrew at 211 is known for his bowties and seersucker attire- I have always admired that approach.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Stephen D wrote: What about the front of a '56 Chevy?

Havana Rumba's Middletown shop has that covered ...
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Stephen,
I had several of the same thoughts :wink- I also thought about the car decor. Robin- you are right about Havana Rumba's car, but the way they've done it it's not terribly eye- catching. I was thinking more El Camino comes to Havana....;-) with a cool vibe. :wink: :)
Deb
Next