Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Yummy Pollo

no avatar
User

ChrisMakk

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Yummy Pollo

by ChrisMakk » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Yummy Pollo at 4222 Bishop Lane opened today & their food is wonderful. It is Peruvian style grilled chicken, very similar to the now closed Mr. Pollo in Hikes Point.

All grilled chicken is well seasoned & slowly grilled over real charcoal. The grill was custom built & does an excellent job cooking the chicken. I got the quarter dark chicken which comes with two sides & two different dipping sauces for $6.25. Between the marinating & seasoning of the chicken, the result is fantastic. I encourage all Hot Byte foodies to try it out soon.

Let's all support this excellent new local restaurant.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Yummy Pollo

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:37 am

Thanks for the post, Chris. Sounds like a keeper ... and I was sorry to see Mr Pollo fail to make it. Peruvian cuisine is probably a mystery to most folks here, but your mouth-watering description makes the case!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:34 am

That's great news! Love this kind of chicken. Can't wait to go. Thanks for posting!
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:49 pm

They have a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yummy-Pollo/744499698920470 I, too, miss the chicken at Mr. Pollo, I'm eager to try this place!
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:18 am

Ask and you shall receive, here is their menu!
YummyPollo.jpg
(195.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:15 am

No fried yuca? That's disappointing. I've never seen a Peruvian chicken place that didn't have that.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Sounds yummy - thanks for posting! And looking at the menu, they have great prices- that's like eating at KFC! .... :roll:
Definitely going on our rotation for this week. :D

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:38 pm

I stopped by today and highly recommended it. The chicken is packed with flavors and it's very well cooked. The owner (I think) said that they are keeping the sides basic and focusing on the chicken, but perhaps they will expand their side offerings if the place takes off. A 1/4 chicken with fries, salad, and a drink was $8.50 -- tasty and a great deal. However, it wasn't that easy to cut with their disposable plastic flatware, so I might carry out next time.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:53 pm

I went over for lunch today, and boy, that is some yummy pollo. It's little roaster-sized chickens, but for less than $7 for a very juicy piece of chicken and generous sides (a combo of chicken fried rice and cilantro rice--both were great--and steak fries to dunk into the sauce) you can't beat it.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:23 pm

I also went for lunch today. You were right, Chris- This is some seriously good chicken! For those not familiar with the style, it's conceptually a rotisserie chicken with some very flavorful herbs and slightly spicy. Mine was very moist and delicious- so much so that after eating my $6.25 (!) platter of food, I bought another whole chicken ( $12.95) to take home to the family. :D

They just open last week so there were some minor bumps as would be expected. There was a 15 min wait for my whole chicken, which is entirely understandable given the 1 15 min cooking time per bird, and unknown customer demand at a new place. He was running low on sides when I was there due to a chef staffing problem.
Platters come with two generous servings of sides. My chickpeas were very good, as were the two different rices ( I asked for a recommendation between the two rices, and he offered to include some of each in my platter :wink: ) Orders come with two sauces: one mild aioli-like, and a tongue tingling green sauce. I really liked the green sauce on my chicken, but honestly the chicken is so flavorful it doesn't need it. We'll definitely be back!
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:40 pm

Just had Yummy Pollo for carry out lunch- It was AWESOME! My two co-workers and I work in the general area and there are few local options. THIS WAS BY FAR OUR BEST "NEW" LUNCH SPOT FOR 2014.

The chicken was moist and had a great spice. Both sauces are good and we couldn't decide which we liked the most. The "yellow" sauce is like a spicy mayo or aioli and the green is a spicy cilantro. In the case of the sauces the spicy is zesty not heat hot. The chickpeas are really good and both who had them kept trying to decipher what "secret ingredients" made them so.

We will be adding this to our rotation. For those that are familiar with Rob-A-Que (another great choice) they are in the same small strip mall.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:22 pm

Jumping on the bandwagon, I swung in mid afternoon and got a quarter white meat and two sides, coleslaw and fried rice. The chicken was really good, moist and flavorful. The sides were both good, but the star is the chicken. The cilantro green sauce was my fave, until I realized I could mix the garlic mayo with it and make a really special sauce. Next time I'm getting a whole bird to go home and deconstruct. I'm thinking this would make an awesome pulled chicken taco. Peruvian tacos! :D
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Bump!

Just returned from another great lunch! Took Hubby with me- he was equally impressed.

This was first time to dine in. The lobby was very clean- steam table was wiped down and manned with 2 people to complete your order down the line. There are both bottled drinks and fountain drinks. I counted 8 two tops and 6 four tops. When we got their only 3 tables were empty and this was at 1:15pm. Hope their lunch is always steady and quick turn around.

I tried the green beans this time and couldn't resist the steak fries that are so yummy for dipping. The beans have a subtle spice which I liked. Fries were hot and fresh- brought them to our table straight from the fryer.

This is a nice change of pace for the area and will remain in our rotation.

(Side note- As reported last time-this is in the same strip mall as Rob-a-que- however they changed hands to "Pappy's" separate thread to follow)

Lora
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri May 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Just a bump with an update. Yummy Pollo now has fabulous fried yucca. Think potato wedges more than fries. Delicious!
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Ron H wrote:Just a bump with an update. Yummy Pollo now has fabulous fried yucca. Think potato wedges more than fries. Delicious!

Creamy-steamy inside, crisp-fried on the outside? Someplace else does it that way, possibly Mussel & Burger Bar? Agreed: It's awesome.