Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

A changing Vincenzo's?

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

A changing Vincenzo's?

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:56 am

According to today's CJ, Vincenzo's is in for big changes. IMHO, way overdue. I've found it to be stuffy and boring for some time. I do hope they get their mojo back (it's been a long, long time).

Also interesting that they looked at Lynn's, as well as the Tumbleweed spot. Of course, it's always easy when something doesn't happen to say, "yeah, we were in the middle of that." Let's see what they can really do. Wish them the best.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: A changing Vincenzo's?

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:52 pm

I certainly agree that Vincenzo's needs a drastic change! They seem to be out of touch with what the customers are looking for when dining out. There menu is stale and as you said they are definitely stuffy. It will be interesting to see what results from the changes, hopefully they will return the restaurant to the forefront of Louisville's dining scene.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Vincenzo's jumped the shark for me when I ran a test, a number of years ago, by sending in two young women to do a truly anonymous review. Vincenzo had no idea that they were reviewing for HotBytes, so they didn't get the Favored Customer treatment, and their meal and service were far from legendary.

When wealthy or regular customers (or recognized critics) get fawning treatment while the general public gets a ho-hum, there's trouble in River City. And by all accounts, that's been an issue at Vincenzo's for many years. I'm not sure how they could go about changing that.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Vincenzo's jumped the shark for me when I ran a test, a number of years ago, by sending in two young women to do a truly anonymous review. Vincenzo had no idea that they were reviewing for HotBytes, so they didn't get the Favored Customer treatment, and their meal and service were far from legendary.

When wealthy or regular customers (or recognized critics) get fawning treatment while the general public gets a ho-hum, there's trouble in River City. And by all accounts, that's been an issue at Vincenzo's for many years. I'm not sure how they could go about changing that.

What you mentioned here is basically what happened to us the last time we were there and the reason we haven't been back. We felt like many other customers were being pampered while we were being ignored.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:02 pm

TP Lowe wrote:According to today's CJ, Vincenzo's is in for big changes.

By the way, TP, I'm not seeing that in today's print edition. Could you tell me what page it was on? Or maybe internet-only?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

By the way, TP, I'm not seeing that in today's print edition. Could you tell me what page it was on? Or maybe internet-only?

Robin, sorry - I haven't seen print, was reading it online.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Here's the link, Robin and all:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /20807493/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Hmm, a little news has been added at the top:

Editor's note: After this story was posted, restaurant owner Vincenzo Gabriele called to correct some statements made by his representative. The restaurant, he said, is not considering any new locations, will not add a happy hour and maintains a dress code, but will make exceptions for conventions.

Dana is a very good reporter. Methinks V. was spinning her a tale, then didn't like the way it looked when he saw it in print.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Hmm, a little news has been added at the top:

Editor's note: After this story was posted, restaurant owner Vincenzo Gabriele called to correct some statements made by his representative. The restaurant, he said, is not considering any new locations, will not add a happy hour and maintains a dress code, but will make exceptions for conventions.

Dana is a very good reporter. Methinks V. was spinning her a tale, then didn't like the way it looked when he saw it in print.

Interesting. I didn't see the editor's note. Awful lot of info in the article for all of it to have been incorrect. Any good reporter would certainly have tried to verify all of it, I'm sure.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:10 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Interesting. I didn't see the editor's note. Awful lot of info in the article for all of it to have been incorrect. Any good reporter would certainly have tried to verify all of it, I'm sure.

Well, it's a long article, with a lot of it from the new GM and some from Vincenzo. My revised theory is that maybe the GM let out some ideas that were kicking around, and Vincenzo promptly walked them back. :lol:
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Well, it's a long article, with a lot of it from the new GM and some from Vincenzo. My revised theory is that maybe the GM let out some ideas that were kicking around, and Vincenzo promptly walked them back. :lol:

That would certainly be a credible explanation. Wonder how fast they'll have another new GM?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Sorry I messed up that attempt at a quote, Robin - feel free to delete my fouled-up message.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:51 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Sorry I messed up that attempt at a quote, Robin - feel free to delete my fouled-up message.

Actually, your mistake was minor, but I compounded it with a failed effort to fix it, TP. I think it's all cleaned up now.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote: Actually, your mistake was minor, but I compounded it with a failed effort to fix it, TP. I think it's all cleaned up now.

All's well that ends well! Merry Christmas to you and Mary, Robin.