Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Tina Marsh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

What are good restaurants to take children into?

by Tina Marsh » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:59 pm

My brother and his wife are visiting for the holidays and I wanted to see what good restaurants are for taking young children. He has a young baby and I am so unfamiliar with the whole baby thing I didn't know what might be a good place to go with them. And heck, what is the whole protocol about babies in restaurants? Do they put them on some special seat or what?

I'm picturing us in huge booths with room for the baby in its car seat for some reason but I know I've seen it done other ways. Not sure though how it's typically done.

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:08 pm

I had out of town friends in a few weeks ago who have a toddler. I took them to Lynn's Paradise Cafe. It's a fun atmosphere and the place is always loud. So there's no need to worry if the kids get a little rambunctious. There are also toys on every table.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Lynn's

by Sonja W » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:16 pm

I also recommend Lynn's Paradise. I suggested it to some friends with small children who wanted to make a meal stop in Louisville on their way from Chicago to Nashville. Here's their feedback from an e-mail:

"oh. my. word.
What a perfect suggestion. I cannot thank you enough. Everyone from Bill (pecan-crusted chicken) to Amy (berry pie with vanilla crunch ice cream) to Cricket (try on all bizarre hats) to Frances (climb all stone animals and wonder where the other half of the pig is that appears to be going into the men's room) loved it! Great atmosphere, great food, and the perfect stop 2/3 of the way to Nashville."
no avatar
User

James Wise

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:11 am

Louisville KY

kid fun

by James Wise » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:16 pm

The Bluegrass Brewing Company on Shelbyville Road is a very kid friendly enviroment. They have a kids menu, free rootbeer floats for kids, and even have toys set up on the stage. In the spirit of full disclosure I do work for the downtown location.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:36 pm

OK, you said your brother has a "young baby" and that it is still in a car seat. So, I'm guessing that you don't care about the kid's menu because this little one is not eating table food yet. At least mine were out of the baby carrier and into the high chair long before the kid's menu was a factor.

Here's the trick with the baby car seat. Get a square wooden high chair and turn it upside down. Set the baby car seat carrier in the opening (you turn it upside down because the opening is bigger on the bottom). The car seat should be stable and secure and the baby will be at a good height for seeing mom and dad. Bring a blanket to drape over the carrier's handle in case the little one falls asleep or to just eliminate commotion if he/she gets overstimulated.

A few "chain" restaurants have hammock style contraptions for the baby car seats, but I personally preferred the upside down high chair myself.

Bon Apetite! Hope this helps!
no avatar
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Gretchen D. wrote:OK, you said your brother has a "young baby" and that it is still in a car seat. So, I'm guessing that you don't care about the kid's menu because this little one is not eating table food yet. At least mine were out of the baby carrier and into the high chair long before the kid's menu was a factor.

Here's the trick with the baby car seat. Get a square wooden high chair and turn it upside down. Set the baby car seat carrier in the opening (you turn it upside down because the opening is bigger on the bottom). The car seat should be stable and secure and the baby will be at a good height for seeing mom and dad. Bring a blanket to drape over the carrier's handle in case the little one falls asleep or to just eliminate commotion if he/she gets overstimulated.

A few "chain" restaurants have hammock style contraptions for the baby car seats, but I personally preferred the upside down high chair myself.

Bon Apetite! Hope this helps!

I second all of the above....just wanted to add, large booths work well too. (Depends on the age) When my baby was 6 weeks-about 4 months, she would sleep through anything and liked to set her next to me (sideways) in a big booth. We actually ate at some really nice places this way. If she made a peep, one of us would leave with her.

I found she tended to sleep well the upscale places. Dim lighting, soft hum of voices and typically warm.

At 20 months, it's a whole different story!
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

here's one

by Nora Boyle » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:11 am

Blue dog loves kids, feed him a crust of bread! Not kidding. My kid loves the ends of those loaves.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:23 am

I think this depends on the children. I may be a naive parent (which I doubt), but my two kids are extremely well behaved and conceded as it may be, they often garner positive attention from other patrons, as they are simply electric. That said, I am not looking to take them to any white tables anywhere, anytime soon....but we can die at Bourbon's, 60W, Mitchell's, Martini, the Bristol, Ramsi's, et al....without any distraction towards other guests, and thoroughly enjoying ourselves at the same time.
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

by Sherrie G » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:58 am

Rob_DeLessio wrote:....but we can die at Bourbon's, 60W, Mitchell's, Martini, the Bristol, Ramsi's, et al....without any distraction towards other guests, and thoroughly enjoying ourselves at the same time.

Gosh, is even the ambulance so quiet when you "die" at these places that other guests don't notice your lifeless body being carted out? :lol:
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:03 am

Rob - Your kids garner alot of positive attention from other diners because they're so pretty! (I've seen pictures.) :wink:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:02 am

Well thank you dear ;)
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:06 am

No need to thank me, you made 'um! Merry Christmas.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:14 pm

My kids are grown but, I was recently at Cafe LouLou and was VERY impressed at how welcoming and engaging they were to the kids that were there.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:54 pm

Neal M wrote:My kids are grown but, I was recently at Cafe LouLou and was VERY impressed at how welcoming and engaging they were to the kids that were there.

We have a sign that says "unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy".

Seriously, though - bring 'em on. Kids seem to love the bright colors and boisterous atmosphere (and boy, is it EXTRA boisterous this week!). We've got plenty of high chairs and roomy booths, as well - along with crayons and stuff to color.

Rarely do I peek out into the dining room and see less than 4 or 5 kids. Kids love pizza, after all (and a lot of them love hummus). No chicken fingers and french fries here (we don't fry anything). Usually kids get a personal pita pizza or cheesy- or butter-noodles.
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

kid-friendly restaurants

by Ellen White » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:08 pm

There are always kids at the Grape Leaf. Also, we took my 15-month-old niece to Ditto's a couple of weeks ago, and they loved her! The decor was interesting to her. Pita Delites is also kid-friendly. If you're not sure about someplace, you can always call first!
Next