Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Forbes see L'Ville as top 5 to watch for 2015

by James Natsis » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Impressive accolade to Louisville as one of the "five surprising people, places, and things to watch in 2015.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mariansalzm ... h-in-2015/
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Forbes see L'Ville as top 5 to watch for 2015

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Cool beans! Better than Portland? Citing clickbaity Thrillist as source gives their reporting a sketchy feel, but I like it that they get it about "inside the Watterson." Overall, more good publicity ... :mrgreen:
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Are more young people with college degrees moving to Louisville than Portland? No.

What the study's authors found is that in a weighted scale based on city size and other precursors during the years 2008 to 2010 Louisville outperformed other metropolitan regions in attracting college graduates. But Portland stilled attracted twice as many as us, and Seattle, Dallas, Washington DC had 4 times or more incoming college graduates.
Houston and Nashville have been the two biggest winners over the past decade.

You can read the actual study here:
http://mkn.research.pdx.edu/wp-content/ ... eport1.pdf

My wife and I moved here over six years ago, because at the time Outside Magazine was trumpeting Louisville as a "Top Twenty Town to Live in Now" ie the next Seattle or Boulder. But having been here for six years and seen the smoking, obesity, and cancer rates; coupled with the $1 billion dollar school system JCPS and a statewide education system that is in the bottom ten nationally; a $9 billion dollar ticking time bomb for the state due to its unfunded pension obligations; some of the highest tax rates in the nation (we are #8 in the US as of Feb this year); and what was recently revealed to be the most corrupt state government in the country (and anyone who has ever interacted with our state government knows this).....we are about done.

Ive spent too much time flying back and forth to DC for White House conferences and trying to get the Beshear administration to listen to viable plans for economic development for Eastern and Western Kentucky. As the saying goes, you cant fix stupid.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Doug Davis wrote:.....we are about done.

We had another contributor here, Phil Gissen, who was also very unhappy in Louisville. I believe he left the area before you arrived, so you probably missed his frequent critiques. He summed up his decision to move away:

Phil Gissen wrote:...What Louisville is, for better or worse, drove me away. Its reality did not meet or fit my needs.

I believe Phil moved to Cincinnati. I hope you find somewhere that makes you happy.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:08 am

Doug Davis wrote:My wife and I moved here over six years ago, because at the time Outside Magazine was trumpeting Louisville as a "Top Twenty Town to Live in Now" ie the next Seattle or Boulder. But having been here for six years and seen the smoking, obesity, and cancer rates; coupled with the $1 billion dollar school system JCPS and a statewide education system that is in the bottom ten nationally; a $9 billion dollar ticking time bomb for the state due to its unfunded pension obligations; some of the highest tax rates in the nation (we are #8 in the US as of Feb this year); and what was recently revealed to be the most corrupt state government in the country (and anyone who has ever interacted with our state government knows this).....we are about done.

But we have bike lanes now! Surely this outweighs the cooties threat from fat people.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:43 am

I wouldn't move to any city based upon a magazine article, but it's still nice to read. Even better, in one of the many articles about Roux that I've read lately, I liked Dustin Staggers comment about the city. When asked about why his family loved this city so much after moving from Tampa five years ago, he said in Louisville Magazine -- "When we first came here, I thought people were being sarcastic because they were so nice." Well put!
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Silvio,

We didnt move just because of the article. We actually toured a number of towns mentioned in the article that were also supposed to be up and comers (Ithaca, NY; Pittsburgh, PE; Dublin, OH) and some that werent (Cincinnati, Chicago, etc). But Louisville drew us in based on the architecture of the Highlands, how cheap living next to the parks were in comparison to NY, and promises of how easy it would be to jump on the bandwagon toward making Louisville and Kentucky a better place. Six years later the reality of just how obstinate many of the local and state leaders are has fully sunk in. Also we have a child now and the current state of the education system scares us.

Jay,

We are presently looking at Europe. The costs of higher education is about to quickly become a national US problem, so moving to another state wont help fix that. Based on current projections half of all US colleges and universities will be closed in 15 years, about the time our daughter will be entering college. The cost of a 4 year in state degree from UofL will be close to $250,000.
Its unsustainable.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Doug Davis wrote:Are more young people with college degrees moving to Louisville than Portland? No.

What the study's authors found is that in a weighted scale based on city size and other precursors during the years 2008 to 2010 Louisville outperformed other metropolitan regions in attracting college graduates. But Portland stilled attracted twice as many as us, and Seattle, Dallas, Washington DC had 4 times or more incoming college graduates.
Houston and Nashville have been the two biggest winners over the past decade.

You can read the actual study here:
http://mkn.research.pdx.edu/wp-content/ ... eport1.pdf

My wife and I moved here over six years ago, because at the time Outside Magazine was trumpeting Louisville as a "Top Twenty Town to Live in Now" ie the next Seattle or Boulder. But having been here for six years and seen the smoking, obesity, and cancer rates; coupled with the $1 billion dollar school system JCPS and a statewide education system that is in the bottom ten nationally; a $9 billion dollar ticking time bomb for the state due to its unfunded pension obligations; some of the highest tax rates in the nation (we are #8 in the US as of Feb this year); and what was recently revealed to be the most corrupt state government in the country (and anyone who has ever interacted with our state government knows this).....we are about done.

Ive spent too much time flying back and forth to DC for White House conferences and trying to get the Beshear administration to listen to viable plans for economic development for Eastern and Western Kentucky. As the saying goes, you cant fix stupid.

Doug,
This is unfortunate for you and your wife, and I wish you the best in your journey elsewhere,

Beauty (and ugly) is in the eye of the beholder. Your list of negativity does not compute in my world---I don't smoke, I'm not obese, I don't have cancer ( at least I hope not!), my son is in the top scoring JCPS elementary school, my pension fund is not held by the state of KY, my house taxes are 1% (probably among the nation's lowest), I don't work for the corrupt government, and I don't try to communicate with the Beshear administration.

My world here in Louisville consists of a 4,000 sq ft home in a golf course neighborhood which would translate to a cramped condo in many other cities, biking in the parklands of floyds fork, dining in Clifton or the Highlands, attending the annual St James Court Art Festival, walking across the Big Four Bridge to Jeffersonville, visiting all of the KY Bourbon Trail sites, etc., etc.

Sure, there are many negatives I can point to that frustrate me. But the grass is always greener (but not bluer) elsewhere. Louisville is not for everyone and we all have the right to our own perspectives. And your perspective resonates louder with some who probably already left for similar reasons. But there'll be enough of us around to keep the lights on!
James J. Natsis