Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best Barbeque?

no avatar
User

StaceyBreckel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 am

Best Barbeque?

by StaceyBreckel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:26 pm

My husband and I have been in the mood for good barbeque. Where is the best place in Louisville to go that serves great barbeque but also really good, flavorful sides?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Best Barbeque?

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:00 am

You'll hear many answers from many different people but in order to give you some good ideas we need to know what type of barbecue you are looking for. Pulled pork, brisket, chicken, etc.? Different places are better at different types.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:26 am

Best BBQ is like best of any food item. Tastes vary. Louisville Grind Burgers are phenomenal but there are time I want to go to Burger Boy and have one of their burgers. Having said that, you can't go wrong with Shack in the Back, 406 Mount Holly Road, Fairdale, KY 40118. http://shackinthebackbbq.com /menu.html /catering.html /shop.html Your mileage may vary but love the Turkey ribs. (502) 363-3227

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:54 pm

The best brisket I've had around Louisville, by far, is from Ken-Tex BBQ in Shelbyville. I haven't been to some of the newer places around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Feast BBQ and/or Hammerheads.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:40 pm

A-Typical-Man in St. Matthews and Mamas (several locations) also have very good Q. The burnt ends at Mamas are particularly good!

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:24 pm

CarlMoore wrote:Bobby's Burnt Ends BBQ gets my vote. I've been 4 times in the short time they have been open.

Where is it?
User

SheilaKalajdžić

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:16 pm

by SheilaKalajdžić » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:26 am

My favorite is the mutton BBQ at the Ole Hickory Pit. It has such a wonderful flavor, plus I like that it's not too sweet. I always get coleslaw and fried cornbread with mine. :)
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:32 pm

We enjoyed our meal at Feast on Market Saturday night. Seemed to be a true BBQ joint trying to appeal to the hip crowd. Food was very good. Mac n cheese was a little dry but the taste was good. Brisket was ok....did not like the way they cut it....reminded me of dry pot roast (long and stringy)....I think my mind played tricks on me....it did not look like normal serving of brisket but it did look like pot roast.....ribs, chicken and pork were very good and tots were cooked to perfection.

We tried a place on Frankfort Ave.....forget the name (FABD???).....food was good.

Always looking for good BBQ.....going to try Hammerheads next time

One of my greatest food memories was getting BBQ on Friday (while going to Ball State) from this little joint on the SE side of Muncie....take out / drive thru only.....oh my the food was awesome.....
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

by Andrew A » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Steve Kluesner wrote:We enjoyed our meal at Feast on Market Saturday night. Seemed to be a true BBQ joint trying to appeal to the hip crowd. Food was very good. Mac n cheese was a little dry but the taste was good. Brisket was ok....did not like the way they cut it....reminded me of dry pot roast (long and stringy)....I think my mind played tricks on me....it did not look like normal serving of brisket but it did look like pot roast.....ribs, chicken and pork were very good and tots were cooked to perfection.

We tried the place on Frankfort Ave.....forget the name (FABD???.....but food was good.

Always looking for BBQ.....going to try Hammerheads next time

Sounds like a brisket rookie simply slicing with the grain instead of across the grain. I'm sure thats simply new staff not up to speed just yet. I'd say that will be fixed before long.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:21 pm

Andrew A wrote:Sounds like a brisket rookie simply slicing with the grain instead of across the grain. I'm sure thats simply new staff not up to speed just yet. I'd say that will be fixed before long.

I'm not sure about Feast but I've been to a couple places that cut it that way regularly! I'm not sure why but IMHO it's the quickest way to ruin brisket. Brisket is supposed to be sliced against the grain into really thin slices that fall apart nicely when bitten into. If it's cut with the grain like it appears this was at Feast is much harder to eat and nowhere as near as appetizing. The only thing that can make it worse is if they also soak it in sauce prior to serving it like some places do. Sauce should be a condiment added at the diner's discretion, not part of the dish.
Last edited by Mark R. on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Andrew A wrote:
Steve Kluesner wrote:We enjoyed our meal at Feast on Market Saturday night. Seemed to be a true BBQ joint trying to appeal to the hip crowd. Food was very good. Mac n cheese was a little dry but the taste was good. Brisket was ok....did not like the way they cut it....reminded me of dry pot roast (long and stringy)....I think my mind played tricks on me....it did not look like normal serving of brisket but it did look like pot roast.....ribs, chicken and pork were very good and tots were cooked to perfection.

We tried the place on Frankfort Ave.....forget the name (FABD???.....but food was good.

Always looking for BBQ.....going to try Hammerheads next time

Sounds like a brisket rookie simply slicing with the grain instead of across the grain. I'm sure thats simply new staff not up to speed just yet. I'd say that will be fixed before long.

Wish that were the case but I ate their once last year and it was cut the same way. Never went back. All of the food except for the pork cake appetizer was bland.
If you take a look at their brisket sandwich pic on their website, you'll see it looks more like pot roast as the OP described.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:43 pm

Feast BBQ. Hands down. :D
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Here's a second vote for the turkey ribs at Shack in the Back. The back ribs are good also.

Smoketown USA has the best sides.
no avatar
User

Jonathan Exum

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Louisville KY

by Jonathan Exum » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:49 pm

The way feast does their brisket is not an unintentional rookie mistake. It is not rookie at all. There are some bbq purest who think you should never put a knife to good barbecue that it should always be tender enough to shred apart. Personally I like my brisket cut with plenty of fat cap still intact. To each their own. As far as bbq in lousiville goes I haven't found one that blows my socks off yet, but I have only eaten at a handful.
Next