Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best Barbeque?

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Best Barbeque?

by James Natsis » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:49 pm

I had lunch at Feast BBQ on Market St. this afternoon which prompted me to reassess this "best BBQ" discussion.

Perhaps there are 2 categories of BBQ places--traditional down home type of BBQ, and an urban, hipster neo-BBQ joint.

Feast BBQ, and perhaps others, offers smoked (and later fried) tofu sandwiches and plates. It also serves tacos (Mexican or American style) with its BBQ meats or tofu. It has a nice beer selection with many crafts. And its bourbon selection qualifies it for the urban bourbon trail with over 50 different bottles including several Pappy van Winkles. So it really made me wonder how we may define "best BBQ." The BBQ goods and ambiance fit the traditional standards. But the tofu, tacos, craft beers, and especially expansive bourbon selection take it to a different level.
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:11 pm

James Natsis wrote:
Perhaps there are 2 categories of BBQ places--traditional down home type of BBQ, and an urban, hipster neo-BBQ joint.

And its bourbon selection qualifies it for the urban bourbon trail with over 50 different bottles including several Pappy van Winkles.

as far as best barbecue goes I don't think the location makes any difference, it just comes down to how good the actual barbecue is! Whether it's brisket, pulled pork, chicken or ribs how does the flavor compared to that from other places. Tofu, shrimp, etc. may be good but are not really foods that are considered traditional barbecue and are not a item that many places have.

It's interesting that they have Pappy Van Winkle bourbon, they must have an inside connection someplace. It's extremely difficult for most places including liquor stores and bars to get it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:26 pm

JoeRusso wrote:Mommas Mustard and Pickles BBQ has the best chicken/wings in town.

I second this. The wings are f'n awesome.

Also, if you go to Hammerheads just get everything as sliders and you can try the duck, pork, brisket, pork belly and do they have chicken? I don't remember but rock all the sliders with some lamb ribs. It's heavenly.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:02 pm

Holy Smokes "The BBQ Cowboy" has the best smoked meat (pork shoulder, ribs, & brisket) in the Louisville area. The brisket is far better than any other I have had outside of Texas.
Holy Smokes is currently a rolling smoker operation that usually sets up in Sellersburg during the week (follow his Facebook to find out when brisket and ribs are available).
He is working on opening a sit down location in the old Vicario's pizza building at 7773 Highway 311 Sellersburg, IN.
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:05 am

I was hoping this thread would still be active. I'm not a big meat eater so bbq joints are kind of lost on me. If you're looking for a brisket revelation or burnt ends epiphany, you might want to go to the next post.

My family and I went to Mark's Feed Store last night and had a delicious, filling meal with leftovers for 40 bucks. Service was pretty good given that our server was obviously swamped. My husband and I commented that we remembered going to Marks in high school and enjoying it just as much. Even more amazing was that, in the age of flash-in-the-pan restaurants, Marks was on a wait last night by 6:00. I can think of few restaurants that have been around as long as Marks that still do that kind of business. So, maybe not BEST barbecue but it's pretty reliable.
Previous