Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best Barbeque?

no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Best Barbeque?

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Jonathan, if you find a brisket that blows your socks off please let me know! I've lived here since 97 and only had brisket in one place that I thought was excellent and it has since closed. There are several places that do pulled pork quite good but brisket seems to be something that all of the local places I really lacking.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Mark R. wrote:Jonathan, if you find a brisket that blows your socks off please let me know! I've lived here since 97 and only had brisket in one place that I thought was excellent and it has since closed. There are several places that do pulled pork quite good but brisket seems to be something that all of the local places I really lacking.

Have you tried Texicans? I think they have the best brisket by far.

http://texicansbbqpitt.com/
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote:
Mark R. wrote:Jonathan, if you find a brisket that blows your socks off please let me know! I've lived here since 97 and only had brisket in one place that I thought was excellent and it has since closed. There are several places that do pulled pork quite good but brisket seems to be something that all of the local places I really lacking.

Have you tried Texicans? I think they have the best brisket by far.

http://texicansbbqpitt.com/

Actually I've heard that too but unfortunately there restaurant isn't even close to being handicapped accessible! Combining this with the fact that eating at a barbecue place is part of what makes barbecue good I haven't tried them.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Mark R. wrote:Actually I've heard that too but unfortunately there restaurant isn't even close to being handicapped accessible! Combining this with the fact that eating at a barbecue place is part of what makes barbecue good I haven't tried them.

Having tried most of the places mentioned, as well as a few that weren't, Texican's is our choice when we're not making our own BBQ. Their pork is pretty common. The Brisket is the best I've had in the local area. The ribs (like anywhere) can be hit or miss. Not sure what kind of sauce they are using, at one time I thought it might be Head Country but they may have changed that...not sure. The sides are are all good.

The place really doesn't -have- an "atmosphere"...So your not missing much be getting take out.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

by Andrew A » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Jonathan Exum wrote:The way feast does their brisket is not an unintentional rookie mistake. It is not rookie at all. There are some bbq purest who think you should never put a knife to good barbecue that it should always be tender enough to shred apart. Personally I like my brisket cut with plenty of fat cap still intact. To each their own. As far as bbq in lousiville goes I haven't found one that blows my socks off yet, but I have only eaten at a handful.

While I'm certainly one of those who think there are lots of way to create great BBQ the above instance isn't one of them. It was not an example of shredded beef brisket but SLICED brisket that was cut incorrectly. If you slice a brisket with the grain (much like most any meat) it will come out long and stringy and harder to chew. This is especially true if you have cooked the brisket to a temp that is not "pull tender." I've had the brisket at Feast before and I know they do indeed slice it. There are two muscles in a brisket (each with a grain that runs in a different direction) and it's very easy for newer BBQ cooks to slice it with the grain and mess it up.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Andrew A wrote:
Jonathan Exum wrote: If you slice a brisket with the grain (much like most any meat) it will come out long and stringy and harder to chew. This is especially true if you have cooked the brisket to a temp that is not "pull tender."

It's not just bbq places that have trouble with this . . . back when they opened, we had trouble with Lonnie's Taste of Chicago, which cut corned beef brisket with the grain, and it was virtually inedible (unchewable?)! Don't know if they fixed it or not, as if we go we only order hot dogs/sausages now.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

CoreyHernly

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:34 am

by CoreyHernly » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:35 am

There is a place in Southern Indiana called Harley BBQ, that has always been awesome!
no avatar
User

David Green

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 pm

by David Green » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:48 pm

The best brisket BBQ I've had out of Texas has been Jucys, on Lagrange Road just at the Oldham County line. He's a Texan.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Steve Kluesner wrote:
One of my greatest food memories was getting BBQ on Friday (while going to Ball State) from this little joint on the SE side of Muncie....take out / drive thru only.....oh my the food was awesome.....

That would have been QL's BBQ in Muncie. That is still the best I've ever had. I tried for 5 years for him to share his recipes.... to no avail.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

JoeRusso

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:46 pm

by JoeRusso » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Mommas Mustard and Pickles BBQ has the best chicken/wings in town. The sides are good and the other bbq stuff is ok.
Feast BBQ is good, especially the pork cake.
Texicans has good brisket and sides as well.
Juicys has good meat, but the sides have always been underwhelming.
One of the most underrated BBQ joints in town is Smokehouse BBQ on Bardstown rd. Best brisket in town IMO, sliced thick but you can still eat it with a fork. The loin back ribs are delicious and tender and the sides are some of the best in town as well. Smokehouse is my go to BBQ place and Ive never been disappointed there.
no avatar
User

StephenBowles

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:34 pm

by StephenBowles » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:45 pm

I would have thought by now there would be more, FABD is a copy cat of Pepperwood (both smokers I built)...most are so far behind a basic standard set long before I opened in 95', and preached respect for all of the regions for real Q...that I am amazed very few even come close. I vote for taking a BBQ road trip, or smoking at home. ..Mr Pepperwood 15'
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:26 pm

StephenBowles wrote:I would have thought by now there would be more, FABD is a copy cat of Pepperwood (both smokers I built)...most are so far behind a basic standard set long before I opened in 95', and preached respect for all of the regions for real Q...that I am amazed very few even come close. I vote for taking a BBQ road trip, or smoking at home. ..Mr Pepperwood 15'

Speaking of on the road BBQ when is the BBQS festival in Owensboro?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:12 am

StephenBowles wrote:I would have thought by now there would be more, FABD is a copy cat of Pepperwood (both smokers I built)...most are so far behind a basic standard set long before I opened in 95', and preached respect for all of the regions for real Q...that I am amazed very few even come close. I vote for taking a BBQ road trip, or smoking at home. ..Mr Pepperwood 15'

Welcome to the forum Steve. I was the knife sharpener for you in both your places.

I second the BBQ at Smokehouse in Fern Creek. Pretty good stuff.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:47 am

I love the brisket at River Road BBQ, near the intersection at Zorn Ave. Their potato salad is sublime. His ribs are OK. Unfortunately, they are on vacation until mid-February.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Steve Shade wrote:

Welcome to the forum Steve. I was the knife sharpener for you in both your places.

I second the BBQ at Smokehouse in Fern Creek. Pretty good stuff.

Smokehouse in Fern Creek also has incredibly nice owners. Every time I've been there one or both has come out for a chat.
PreviousNext